Existing Member?

Where in the World is....Audra

still in Velletri....

ITALY | Wednesday, 26 September 2007 | Views [490]

So, as most of you know, my life prior to leaving was practically consumed with my passion for youth. Working a “ba-gillion” hours at work to make sure my boys felt loved and taken care of. Leaving work and mentoring my kids to make sure they felt loved and taken care of. Answering the phone (and my door) at all hours to make sure my kids and my neighborhood kids felt…I’m sure you get the point. SO…I decided that I would stay away from kids/youth for a while to…as one of my kids (go figure) would say…”get my mind right”. It of course was a feeble attempt. For example…all around me is artistic graffiti (which makes me wonder…what are urban youth like here…are their issues the same?). I then come “home” to Velletri and the family I am staying with and I watch Paola run her home and interact with her kids and I can’t help but think of how I want my home run and what qualities I will “borrow” from her (I foresee something similar to “cheaper by the dozen”…loud, yet organized chaos…with moments of nature and peace in between). Then I see and respond to an ad in an email sent to Paola asking for an “English-speaking woman” to look after a 17 year old girl for 2 weeks”. I get the job (along with a phone and a significant amount of pay)…which means a lot, cause there are so many things that I want to see! Most recently (please remember that I am supposed to be doing “active research” on global youth issues, but can’t seem to find out how I want/can/should to go about it) I want to join Servas (what a cool organization…by the way) and they have a Youth Servas that seems so interesting! Then of course there is that orphanage in Africa, the street youth in Peru and the English school in Thailand….

So I am realizing…AGAIN…that it is not a matter of completely separating myself from this distinct passion, but rather give myself the time and opportunity to discover, explore and nurture my other passions, such as music (singing/playing the guitar), writing, and dancing (I WILL BE A B-GIRL…someday…)

BALANCE…what a simple word with such seemingly difficult attainment.

LOVE OF SELF…this will “give permission” to bring balance to my life…but how to get there…I am baffled.

***okay, so I just read this over and realized that I pretty much just gave you a journal entry…maybe not the most interesting for a blog…(but then again, you all know me as someone who wears her heart on her sleeve, right?) SO…I will now fill you in on some great experiences that I’ve been witness to.***

I realized that to write descriptive journal entries about everything I am experiencing would be impossible, so in my journal I have begun a list of “moments to remember”:

- Salvadore at the Thursday Velletri Market…Paola says that he fits the stereotype of a Napolean (he’s from Napoli)…that stereotype is FINE with me ;)

- Making caffe…sipping slowly these small shot glasses of coffee

- Having Olivia (the 11 year old) teach me how to make homemade spaghetti

- Cooking with Paola

- Standing in front of the primary school, waiting for it to open; it is filled with people, LOUD, kids playing and parents talking, then the bell rings, all kiss their parents goodbye…then silence.

- Dinner time: sometimes kids complaining (so much cuter when it’s in Italian, yet maybe it’s because I don’t understand it), about what’s for dinner, yet all eat, tell about their day and laugh together

- After school: kids home (plus a friend or two) sitting at table (long wooden one) laughing and talking about Shrek Terzo (3) (which we went to see in Italian), they eat lunch LOUDLY and then all run out to play (until dinner) and again…silence.

- Creating music on my computer with Olivia

- Being “licked” by Kitti (the 9 year old)

- Playing with the puppy

- Walking the donkeys (Bella and Nutella) to and from the pasture

- Watering the garden: sun setting, quiet mind with kids playing in the background and for a moment feeling “right”…feeling beautiful (mind, body and spirit)….

- Homework every night at the table: everyone working/reading aloud, Paola cooking dinner and helping them as they go

- Discovering a greater passion for cooking

- Hanging fresh clothes on the line: it smells WONDERFUL

- Walking the ridiculously crowded streets of Rome: feeling so small in relation to the world yet feeling larger than life

-Sunday lunch with family friends: outside, in the sun, eating and talking for 3 hours, having Tisiana grab my face and saying in Italian, something to the effect of “Strong” and “Beautiful”

-Planning: “where to next?”

**in the next few days:

tomorrow going to Napoli: staying in a hostel the first night and then with Paul’s friend the next few.

Meeting with Philip and his daughter Cecilia (the one’s who I am “working” for for 2 weeks at the end of October)

Planning a trip to Paris (only about 50 US dollars to fly roundtrip) for a few days

Heading to Rome again to walk the museums (getting in for free from Paola/Paul’s friends)

Possibly heading to another helpx home for a bit…


Tags: Culture

About audi_jo


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.