Existing Member?

A Thousand Miles 12 Volunteering Projects. 6 Continents. One Amazing Trip.

Some of our volunteering plans

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 24 March 2007 | Views [426]

'A Thousand Miles' is in the planning phase right now so things are a little crazy (no thanks to Jessica who was off on holiday this week!) but it seems like a good idea to be a bit more specific about what we're actually doing on our trip.

So here goes -

The whole reason for taking up the challenge of this project is to help out in communities across the globe. That means volunteering everywhere and anywhere!

In some African countries we're going to be helping out in local healthcare institutions. All the members of the team are going to be medically trained as field medics before we go. The training we are going to receive is similar to the training that field medics get in the Australian Army - only we've shortened a little so that we can do the course in just under 6 months.

In some countries in South America we will be helping to teach english to regional communities. Teaching english is popular in bigger cities but regional areas tend to miss out a little. We're hoping to change that.

In Asia, we'll be helping out in orphanages, animal shelters/rescue centres and teaching english to children across 3 different countries.

Europe is all about helping communities through community housing projects. The Europian Union is spending a lot of money on developing countries in Europe so the prospect of hope is creating a bit of a mini-buzz. Can't wait to get stuck in! 

When we get to Australia, we're going to be helping out some indigenous communities. We're also going to be launching a great new grant scheme to encourage young indigenous writers across regional Australia to write about their wonderfully fascinating culture.

Sound like an awesome trip? Want to join in?

The good news is that we have a couple of vacancies for people who think they could take on the challenge of 'A Thousand Miles'. The pay will be bad. The conditions nothing like what you could call luxury - but you will have lots of fun, help communities and do something amazing! We are about to start advertising so if you'd like to apply to join The Dows Team - send us an email for some more details on how to apply. Applications close 28th April 2007.

Email: dowsteam@yahoo.com

Tags: The Planning Phase

About athousandmiles


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.