Existing Member?

Trekking Solo: My Adventures Down Under

Tuned out and Wined Up: Parachilna to Adelaide

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 5 May 2013 | Views [875]

Post 8: 
May 3, 2013
 
Want to know how to miss out on life and what's going on in the world around you?
 
Put headphones in your ears and tune out everything and everyone else.  You talk to no one, hear nothing, and you're in your own little world where no one else matters.  There are many instances when I've seen this occur while traveling (and at home), and many times it prevents people from paying attention. How can you take it all in? Meet people? Why yes, you could have a sound track to your life and a constant flow of songs you like ringing through your ears all day.  But when you tune out life, you miss out on opportunities. Yes, things could seem awkward when you don't know what else to do, but our generation of teens and twenties (especially) needs to learn how to face discomfort with confidence. How many times have you pretended to text someone or look at your phone when walking by people to avoid an uncomfortable (but not dangerous)  situation? I don't have much against technology, or music for that matter, but to users out there: please remember that life's happening. Don't miss yours. 
 
This is my one rant for the day, hopefully. It's 7:00 in the morning and I am on a bus headed to Kangaroo Island! I actually made it to the bus station all by myself (a block away from the hostel, but still)  after grabbing a disgraceful continental breakfast. Toast-again- this time stale. American breakfast (in the south) is the best. By far. No contest. 
What brought me to my rant is that while sitting in the bus station I thought about grabbing my headphones and popping them in so I didn't have to listen to some of the different languages of people in there, and I was by myself, etc. But that also made me think about my shuttle ride on the Alice Wanderer from the airport to the Haven hostel where I met my new Aussie friend, Michelle. We had to say good bye this morning as she ended her tour in Adelaide to be back to work on Monday morning. We had lots of good laughs and fun times together and I'm really glad I met her!  If we didn't start up a conversation then, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have seen anything in Alice Springs or started off with the comfort of knowing that there were many other people here (and in our group) traveling solo and for the first time, as girls. 
[Side note: it's funny, you don't see too many guys on tours (and not many Americans  at all here). Squatter said tours in general consist of more than 75% female. So that was a gift to you, fellas, get on a tour- automatic international ladies' man. You're welcome.] 
 
To finish my point here, I was riding back from Kangaroo Island (I'll be writing about that in my next post) and I was extremely tired at about 10:30pm. I was ready to tune out the world and couldn't wait for my head to hit the pillow when an older lady sat next to me. I sad hello and we got to chatting- funny how that happens in most all my stories. We talked about their government (Julia thepit horrible prime minister), their refugee problems, their economy, aboriginal issues, traveling, and life. Joy was from Perth sand said that I really needed to visit Western Australia. After chatting the entire way, she gave me her address and phone number because Perth has been on my bucket list for next time I come to Australia. You can snorkel with Whale Sharks! I had to leave something to make me come back! But she said if I make it back here in her lifetime, to call her up and she would pick me up from the airport and that I could stay with her. She had is lot of good advice and was obviously very nice and active. 
If I had my headphones in or went to sleep, I would have missed a wonderful conversation and opportunity full of advice and hospitality. 
 
So, shout out to Michelle (especially if you find this) for being my first friend on this wonderful trip, being so generous, and being an all round great gal. I'm proud that you've broken out of your shell to see the world and travel- it's never too late. Good luck with your next venture and I hope to keep in touch and see you again. Cheers!
 
And shout out to me for not putting in my headphones to tune out the world or the potentially awkward situation on the bus that led to a new friendship. So yes, I strongly suggest to have conversations with people around you (not sketchball strangers- thanks for the reminder Campbell!) and allow yourself to take in opportunities that will better your experiences. Or.. Pop in your headphones, take a nap, and miss out.
Lastly, Shout out to CMW for teaching me how to be "unplugged" for my many summers at camp. Denice, I think that's one of the best initiatives we've seen thus far! You can truly see and feel the difference in atmosphere and quality of experience and conversation while there. Yay camp!
 
And okay, back to Australia since I'm here and all. Yesterday (Friday), we woke up in our quaintly remodeled train cars at the Prairie Hotel in Parachilna. Outside, I felt like I was in Little House on the Prairie, except in a more remote location. Out by 7:30, we drove back into the Flinders Mountains to hike to see some aboriginal cave paintings. They were about 30,000 years old, talk about antiques. I guess they're priceless, but I have no idea what they mean. 
 
Leaving the caves and beautiful views, we saw some ruins in the valley. A couple hundred years old, this "town" was established in a once lush and green area. Kanyaka Homestead housed a fair amount of people and 200,000 cattle sheep. They all died in the drought. My first thought: can you imagine how horrible that would smell!? And sadly, the man who founded this place and had been overseas and in the war ended up drowning in a creek that wasn't typically there because of the dry climate. There was one lone palm tree that still remains and seems to be the shining glory of the ruin. All in all, I found it a bit depressing, although it gave us a good insight to what life was like in Australia colonial times. Personally, I never would have left the coast. 
 
 
From there, we stopped at the Anzac (Australian Veterans) Memorial that exists in just about every town we've seen, but is a little different in each. Squatter, being an army man himself, has filled us with new knowledge about the world wars, gulf wars, fighting with and for America, etc. Thats made it a lot more interesting. PS did you know that about a quarter of the people who want to be in the army actually get to be in it. Although it has always been completely volunteer, it is highly selective. 
 
We stopped in for lunch at this great place in Melrose in the wine country by Clare Valley. We had spaghetti bolognese and a wine tasting of the local wine, both red and white. My favorite quote from the owner, "wine tasting is for idiots." She was telling us that it's more about how it feels and tastes on your palette with your food, etc. and all I could think about was how proud Dad and Mr. Wes would have been! ;)
 
Comfortably full, we left there after posting my last blog to you lovely readers. Thank you for the support, by the way! We travelled through the valley, passing kangaroos and vineyards, stopping for cheesy pics at road signs, and jamming out to Australia's greatest hits. 
 
 
We did stop at the whispering dam, where you can have a conversation with someone about 60 yards away via whisper. In good fashion, Squatter said the 3 boys next to him might be looking for girlfriends. And in unison we all responded that we were taken. The family there was completely inbred. Like something you'd see in hillbilly America. I about died. 
 
 
We finished the day in Adelaide, where we checked in to the YHA. Great place, highly recommended. Cleaner, safer, nicer than the rest. Michelle and I headed out to China Town to find dinner. We ate at a Chinese restaurant, surprise. Then we headed back, exhausted, and we wearily set our alarms for 5:15AM. 

 

Tags: australia, backpacking, friends, life, travel, wine tasting

 

About ashleyhelmick


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.