Existing Member?

embracing entropy

How Death Cab For Cutie Saved My Life

MALAYSIA | Monday, 6 November 2006 | Views [763]

I'm generally not a fan of extremely strenuous physical activity - especially activity requiring endurance.  I prefer my exercise in short fits and bursts - like dancing, or jogging around my apartment during commercial breaks on Desperate Housewives.  So when my Intrepid tour group decided to take the longer, higher, hillier and more trecherous Mesilau route up Mount Kinabalu (4101m) I was less than thrilled.

The 8km trek up 3350m to mountainside accomodation was filled with spectacular views.  First of dense jungle canopy, then of tree line and clouds and finally sunset over the South China Sea. 

I could care less about any of this of course, as I lay flat on my back gasping for breath and praying for death at 7km. 

After seven hours of climbing my body had reached a point of utter exhaustion.  My limbs complained and my head swam and every single cell voted.  The results came in a resounding "HELL NO" (with no need for a re-count)  The sun began to set, and water was low.  I was done. Simply done.

Being the only disguised-American on my trip, I was particularily sensitve about appearing American.  So when my tour guide suggested packing on iPod for the climb - I laughed aloud.  Ridiculous!  I did not trek 3/4 of the way around the worlrd and brave the jungles of Borneo to listen to Ace of Base while summiting the highest mountain in Southest Asia!  (*scoff* That would be SO American)

BUT my trip leader promised, there will come a time on the climb when your body decides to say "Fuck you too!" and you'll be glad for that distracting piece of white plastic heaven when you get down the mountain alive.

I'm not going to speculate on the exact mechanism, or how the music works - just testify that it does.

It was with great hesitation that I reached for those headphones - and great relief that I reached 8 km, a bed, a toilet, and hot milo.

Tags: Mountains

About arfox


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.