Existing Member?

Taste-test After thinking about it for quite some time, I am finally "stepping into the void". Starting in April, I will be departing my everyday life and going into explore mode for a year. For now, I am planning to be in Eastern Europe for the summer '07, and southeast Asia for the winter of '08. But, of course, things could change. Please bookmark this site and join me in my adventure.

Back to Plan Alpha

GREECE | Tuesday, 15 May 2007 | Views [866] | Comments [4]

More of Skiathos near town

More of Skiathos near town

I’ve rarely come into circumstances where I actually wished there were more constraints to deal with. I spent the following week in Barcelona going through mental gymnastics trying to figure out if I really wanted to change my game plan and stay in Spain… quite exhausting really. (I think I’ve been talking to way too many British people because now I’m starting to write how they speak) Anyhow, it didn’t take me long to realize that I had briefly forgotten about one important constraint which is that I can only stay in what is essentially the European Union countries for a maximum of 90 days as a tourist. This would mean I could stay in Spain for about two and a half more months. After many headaches, I finally decided to stick with my game plan and head to Greece. As I’ve now confirmed (in my own mind at least), Greece is the jewel of the Mediterranean and it’s going to be worth it. Just over two months in Spain won’t get me fluent in Spanish unfortunately so it will just have to be another time perhaps.

So now I’m happy as a clam sitting on my private patio and writing this blog entry. My biggest worry was I’d get here, to the island of Skiathos, and wouldn’t be able to find anywhere cheap enough to live for two and half months. I’m still shaking my head in disbelief that I have this studio, 1 minute walk to the closest beach and 10 minute walk downtown. I took pictures so you could see, but basically it has a full bathroom, miniature kitchen with pans and dishes and silverware, two twin beds, tv, and a very private open air patio. I’m paying only 10 euros a night, which is about 14 dollars. The hostels I’ve been staying at have been averaging 20-25 euros a night.

Reflecting on the traveling I’ve done in Eastern Europe, I really do think that this island has the best of everything I’ve seen. The only thing that rivals it is the island of Hvar in Croatia, but the beaches here are leagues nicer with the soft sand. There are no franchise or chain hotels, restaurants, or supermarkets. The local people run all these places, and most are in the same old buildings that have been here for ages. The island is only 16 miles wide, so there is just one main road. I think someone said there are about 60 beaches around the perimeter. I have yet to meet another American here. There are loads of British people that come on package vacations. They are only 3 hours away by airplane and with Ryan Air and Easy Jet it’s amazingly cheap. Almost all younger people, probably 35 years and younger speak functional English. Many of the older also know English since they work in the tourist industry. This is definitely a relief because the Greek language is totally insane. It looks Egyptian to me.

One thing that I’ve been pretty amazed about so far is that that the town and beaches are only lightly sprinkled with tourists. May is very early in the season here and the stores and restaurants just barely opened up. This weekend it was 90 degrees and I shared the beach with about 10 other people. Most Europeans, especially the Italians, French, and Spanish, wait until July and August to go on holiday as they say. This has worked out good for me because I was able to find a room fairly easily and for a good price. I have also been able to meet a lot of the local people since they aren’t so distracted. All in all I’m very optimistic about staying here. It is matching up to what I was hoping. Late July I’m going to have to leave though due to the 90 day requirement so I’ll most likely go to Croatia or Romania… if I’m tired of the beach life by that time it will likely be Romania. I may consider trying to re-enter Greece after leaving to see if they will allow me in for another stretch, but not sure about that yet. I keep hearing different things about VISA requirements and unspoken rules. I’ll have to keep asking around.

Just as a wrap up on Barcelona, I would say that I really enjoyed being there, mostly because I was learning and speaking the language, and also the friends I made. The second week I spent 2/3 of my time; however, researching what my next steps were going to be. Once I made the decision I was ready to leave. Right now, the tourist season is full swing in Barcelona, and after a while you start having violent thoughts about the people who suddenly stop in front of you to talk on their cell phone, or look at their map, or who are just walking incredibly slow. Of course I was doing those things as well, but its very much survival of the fittest. My 1 day in Girona Spain to catch the flight to Milan was quite refreshing in that it was a small and very old city… not many people to fight through in the streets. There’s a couple pictures from there.

These are all my thoughts for now…. Thanks for the emails and the postings. I do read them all though I may not respond for some time. Also one note that I don’t have internet access in my room. I have to go into town to an internet café, so I may only be checking once a week or so. Talk to you soon! Oh one more thing -- Bibs -- your Chinese is impeccable I'm so impressed. Lets have a language fest on my website!!!! (lol)

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

Ha!Ha! You crack me up Dan! You know the picture on this posting sure is a sight for my Thermodynamic saturated sore eyes! I wonder if you can check out any historic monuments while there. Just make sure to use enough sun screen, 'cause I don't think the locals consider mass quantaties of peelage a good thing (especially when they have to help you shed the skin off your back,I still have nightmares about that! And they would come off like roles of paper too!).Ok sorry, went off on a tangent. I better get back to homework!

  Bibs May 16, 2007 7:18 AM

2

Oh and one more thing! You might want to get a pair of cheep flip-flops to use in the shower! The bathrooms were similar in Brazil.

  JOe May 16, 2007 7:49 AM

3

Sorry everyone! I guess the blog duplicates comment entries when your computer refreshes the page!

  Joe May 16, 2007 7:51 AM

4

Hi Daniel, I was just dropping in on your website to see if there were any new pictures, and I reread your description of the island. It's hard to believe that it is only 16 miles across. You could run that, and yet there are 60 beaches! One minute from the beach...I would like to try that!
Tomorrow is Lindsey's birthday, and we are all meeting here at our house for a nice BBQ. It ought to be a very nice day tomorrow. It has been near 90 this week, and tomorrow will be a little cooler...just right for a BBQ.
I returned from a nice trip to Grandma Pond's house this last weekend, and Uncle Vernon and Maxine were there also. We had a short time all together, but at the same time, we really made the most of it. Grandma is doing fine, and she is loving all of the little jobs that we do when we visit. With us four kids working on her house and yard, it is really looking nice. Grandma is loving her beautiful roses.
Well, enjoy your piece of heaven there. I think of you so very often. Love you, MOM

  carol May 31, 2007 3:38 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.