Existing Member?

Are we nearly there yet?

Time to say Goodbye

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 1 September 2011 | Views [1318]

One year has almost come to an end and it's time for me to say goodbye. Unlike other people who started writing their journals when they arrived to Australia I start my diary on my second last day at work, less than a week from the day I'm suppose to board the Jetstar flight to Bali and leave this country. I never thought this day would come and now that it's here I can't help hoping for few more months in this ever so bosh but annoyingly dysfunctional city.

When I arrived to Sydney everyone asked me how did I like it. I kind of got bored of nodding my head and smiling when I actually didn't like it at all. I was of course caught and I've heard about my rudeness ever since. Now when I'm leaving I actually have to admit that I may have been a bit too harsh. It is still not my favourite city but it became my home for awhile and most importantly I've made some great friends here and learnt so much once again. As I read from one travel guide book before coming here: "Sydney doesn't really care what you think of it because it knows it's fabulous." I become to know that it's exactly true. When the sunniest day turns into a thunderstorm just when you've reach Botanic Gardens with you book and lie down to read you just feel that Sydney it's playing a game with you. It really doesn't care what you think so why should Sydneysiders.

I am really bad with goodbyes. I never know what to say and I kind of wish that I could just leave quietly without a fuss but it is never how it goes and as this post was about goodbyes, some more sad than the others, I need to at least try to make the effort: First of all I say goodbye to all the lovely people I've got to know and made friends with along my travels, people in the hostels, Spanish meet ups, Couch surfing, salsa nights and our awesome team @SS. I hope we'll meet again. I say goodbye to the parties, wild nights out, casual gatherings for few drinks and fancy venues @MHA as well as the (very few) nights spent alone at the hostel just watching movies. Goodbye to Harbour Bridge, Opera House and the huge trees in Botanic Gardens that still keep fascinating me. Goodbye to Bondi Beach, burning sun, cold water and too big waves to swim in. Goodbye to Paddy's Market's one dollar rush on Sunday evenings, made in China and super expensive shoes. Goodbye to cheddar cheese, Vegemite on toast and instant coffee. Goodbye to kangaroos, koalas and tent pooing possums. Less sad goodbye to Cityrail, Sydney buses, track works and weird signs that are like kangaroos: only seen in Australia. Goodbye to suddenly changing weather conditions, flooding streets and single glass windows. I am not saying goodbye to my electric blanket as it comes with me.

I think that’s about it. My journey to home starts here, next stop Bali Indonesia.

Tags: australia, goodbye, sydney

About ansku


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.