Existing Member?

Are we nearly there yet?

Finding Nemo

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 13 September 2011 | Views [1247]

My friends had booked a diving trip for this morning so I was offered the opportunity to join them on the boat for some snorkeling. So I woke up early once again to rent a snorkeling gear and head to the sea. The snorkeling gear rent for a day was only 20 000 rupees (just a bit over $2 less than 2€). I was nervous as I had never done snorkeling before and I’m not really a water person but this opportunity was too good to miss. I had been told about this wonderful world below the surface with beautiful corals, fish and sea turtles and I wanted to see it.

After a short boat trip we first watched the divers getting ready and then disappearing to the sea then got on our masks and got into the water. Once I had my mask on and got under the water breathing through the pipe all my fears dissolved. It was surprisingly easy and the underwater world was amazing. It was like in big aquarium. I was surrounded by bright colored fish everywhere in all the colors, sizes and shapes. The coral was like a surface of a strange planet below me and just when I thought I saw the biggest, the smallest or the brightest colored fish something else emerged from the coral leaving me amazed. The highlight was definitely the big sea turtle that suddenly emerged from the turquoise water and was just right in front of me. I would like to say the turtle was huge but I know they can get much bigger. This one’s shell was just a bit over half meter long. The turtle got up to the surface to breathe and then dived again. I was following it for awhile but then it disappeared between the corals.

Soon after I had to get back to the boat as it had to go and fetch the divers who where back from their underwater journey. I only saw a glimpse of it but it left me the thirst to explore more. Who knows, maybe I’ll find Nemo one day.

Tags: snorkeling

About ansku


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.