Existing Member?

Noops Moves

Jo'berg to Kilimanjaro via Ethiopia

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 21 August 2009 | Views [621]

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Writing the first half of this  while waiting for our flight to Kilimanjaro  from Addis Ababa  via Nairobi. Feeling a bit sick, think I might end up with a sore throat. The last 12 hrs hasn’t been the best. Think I really kind of got to know TIA (this is Africa).Everything  just went wrong yesterday i.e. from the time we got to Jo'berg airport to fly out to Ethiopia. I kind of misplaced my passport pouch(another old habit). It was in was in my laptop bag, but I just didn’t look in the right pocket. So here we were at the airport going through my whole baggage(1 big and a hand luggage and laptop bag) .As usual Christine tried to calm me down she kept saying it should be here. Oh well after a few calls back to the lodge to see if I left it back there and few minutes of stressful search Christine found it. That was the good news and the bad news was I had to repack :).Got through check in pretty quick. Our baggage's were going directly to Kilimanjaro means we wont have it during our 12 hr break in Addis Ababa. we are kind of stressed about this cause all our hiking gear is in there and fingers crossed it will turn up when we land in Kilimanjaro.

The flight to Addis Ababa oh gosh what can I say was a night mare. The seats were too small and it had like a common screen for entertainment. I was in the middle seat and Chris at the Aisle, deal was if a hot guy turns up at the window seat Chris gets to sit in the middle and if it a pretty girl  it will be me.Well it wasn’t a lucky day for me so guess what? An old African lady turned up and Chris had a smile in a face saying all yours buddy :). Just when we thought oh well it can only get better from here, what can be worse than flying for 6 hrs in a very uncomfortable flight with not the best entertainment and food?

Well the worse was waiting for us…Addis Ababa Immigration for transit!!!

I don’t want to go too much in detail but we had to wait about 2.5 hrs to get out….TIA buddy TIA!!

Got to Melkn International Hotel and guess what another long Queue to get keys to the room..TIA!

So had dinner first because the rooms were not ready. It was a buffet so guess what another big queue.

I didn’t even know what I had, was some kind of meat :) and rice. I was like what is that taste in my mouth :D. 

So after dinner and about 15 min wait finally got our room. Had a very warm shower and tried fixing my 32 GB SD card(the stupid thing is faulty). So ended up staying up till about 2.30 AM.

Got up 6.30 AM cause we had a 7 Am pick up. Finished Breakfast(bread, scrabbled eggs, tea) and jumped on the bus to the Airport. Got through immigration with no issues this time, took us only about 15 min to get all the way in. Only irritating thing is the scanning, had to pretty much take even my shoes off and that too twice..ANNOYING!!!! So then its 9.15Am in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and our flight is in a5 min. Will be flying to Kilimanjaro via Nairobi getting into Tanzania 1.50 PM local time. So that is another 4hr 50 min flying. I'm so tired of flying just want to be on ground for more than few hrs :).

Wel will update how the flight to killi was when I get there.

Tags: africa, airlines, ethiopia

 

About anoop


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.