Existing Member?

Antarctic Adventure

Day 9, Goudier Island & Danco Island, 9.03.2010

ANTARCTICA | Thursday, 15 April 2010 | Views [1153]

We had scheduled to land in the morning at a former British station at Port Lockroy on Goudier Island, but the wind was too strong to take the zodiacs out. Ron, our ship historian, taught me that if the wind is skimming spray off the top of the waves, it is at least 50 knots outs.

Staying on board turned out to be a blessing, as Jason and I finally had some time to sit down and review my photos. I’ve been falling into bed after dinner every night, too tired from the day’s activities to do anything else. So this morning was was a good chance to get some advice so I can try to improve and experiment a little more before the end of our trip.

We also spent a bit of time on deck videoing to-camera Q&A pieces. Jason interviewed me about my thoughts on the experience so far, and I interview him about being so successful in the industry. I don’t think I could’ve been more muddled if I’d tried! I hope someone manages to cut my various attempts together and make it coherent.

In the afternoon we landed at Danco Island, where we waded through a large moulting Gentoo penguin rookery. This time of the year most of the adults are feeding out at sea, leaving the almost fully grown chicks to fight over food. It’s tough in a penguin colony; there were quite a few sad looking chicks that were noticeably smaller and weaker, and even a few penguin carcasses on the ice.

It was snowing gently throughout the entire landing, blanketing everything in white. Jason had a great time lying belly down on the krill laden snow, and I wasn’t too far behind, frozen fingers and all. By the end of it we’re both covered in slush and smell like old fish.

Chris, our expedition leader, is proposing a 5am start tomorrow in order to fit three landings into our last day in the Antarctic Peninsula. The days have just flown by! I’m off to bed now, too tired to clean off my krill covered pants. A good thing about cold weather is that it deadens smells, so I’ll have no trouble pulling my fishy pants on tomorrow.

About annazhu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Antarctica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.