Existing Member?

Antarctic Adventure

Day 10, Whaler’s Bay & Deception Island, 10.03.2010

ANTARCTICA | Thursday, 15 April 2010 | Views [1256]

Today has been by far the toughest day yet, both physically and mentally.

Jason and I woke at 5am in anticipation for a 5:30am landing, but when we sailed up to Bailey Head, the pounding surf was too strong for the zodiacs to land safely. I opted to go back to bed at 5:45am only to be woken up half an hour later by the wake up call. Grrr. It’s been physically demanding the last few days, and I’m running almost on empty. Not getting a good night’s rest is a bad beginning to another long day.

All my aches and pains were forgotten however, when we disembarked on Deception Island. The island is circular and volcanic, shaped like a waning moon. We sailed through the narrow entrance on the south side of the island, aptly named The Bellows due to the strong winds that whip through it, and today was no exception. The ship anchored in Whaler’s Bay, an abandoned Norwegian whaling station.

The light was beautiful this morning, with the sun hidden behind the volcanic mountain and casting an atmospheric back-light into the bay. Fur seals were lounging on the silky black sands, their silhouettes adding another dimension to my photographs.

I had made the very silly choice this morning of bringing only my Canon body and lens with me. Though they had been damaged the day before in the rain, it seemed to come back to life this morning. I thought that it must have fully dried inside and therefore back to normal. Boy was I wrong.

Within half and hour of landing, my Canon body stopped responding, not even powering on. I had left the Pentax Jason loaned me on the ship, not thinking that I needed it. Now I’m kicking myself, devastated that I wouldn’t be able to photograph the rest of the island despite the perfect light, and angry with myself for not being better prepared. Yet again.

I had a mini freak-out on the beach, and had to sit down and close my eyes. I felt deflated, like my energy valve had run completely dry. I suddenly realised how raw my hands were from several days of cold, and that the howling wind was making my head hurt. That’s how Jason found me – dull-eyed and feeling sorry for myself. He tsked me for leaving behind a working body and magically produced yet another spare from his backpack. What a lifesaver!

With a working camera in hand I was suddenly back in the game – yay! The rest of Deception Island went by without a hitch. A lovely couple on board had decided to get married there, so the ceremony was attended by many and conducted by Chris. Deception is also where the passengers could go for an Antarctic dip if we chose. Quite a few did, including Jason. I thought they were all crazy.

After lunch we disembarked for the final landing of our journey, Half Moon Island, home to a large colony of Chinstrap penguins, fur and elephant seals. The island is set is a bay of Livingston Island, whose ice-covered peaks formed a magnificent backdrop for the Chinstraps.

This is when I experienced a severe case of camera fatigue. I’ve never shot so intensively for so long before. Over the past two weeks I’ve been constantly looking for frames, even when I didn’t have a camera in hand I’m still mentally composing. Perhaps due to my waning energy levels, I had real trouble concentrating. I didn’t want to see the world through a viewfinder anymore. I just wanted to see with my eyes and experience. I shot very little on my last landing, despite the beautiful scenery. I regret it, but given the state of mind I was in, perhaps it couldn’t have been helped.

I discussed camera fatigue briefly with Jason. He’s response was, “Don’t worry, it’s normal. Every photographer I know has gotten it at some point, not me personally, but everyone else has.” I think Jason’s a different breed altogether!

Tags: antarctica, photography

About annazhu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Antarctica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.