Existing Member?

Antarctic Adventure

Day 8, Vernadskiy Station & Pléneau Island, 8.03.2010

ANTARCTICA | Wednesday, 14 April 2010 | Views [1311]

I had a shot of homemade Ukrainian vodka today and it burned!

Our first landing destination was Vernadski Station on Galindez Island, part of the Argentine Islands. Vernadski was originally built by the British, and sold to the Ukranians for one pound sterling in 1996 on the condition that they keep the base in good repair and continue to conduct quality research.

The building was pretty basic, but fun to explore. Its fifty-plus year history was documented along the main stairwell, where a photo of each year’s wintering party was framed and displayed in sequence. We had a peek into the research areas as well as the personal living spaces. The gym was a find as the walls were covered with pictures of scantily clad women. Too bad I didn’t think to look behind the door; other passengers reported a particularly titillating photo there. But the most effort was evidently spent on decorating the bar and gift shop upstairs, complete with flashing disco lights and lacey bras displayed behind the counter.

After a big lunch we head out again for a zodiac cruise of the Lemaire Channel where we saw the most amazing ice berg formations yet. The channel is relatively shallow, so many bergs drift in and become grounded. It felt like we were weaving through a forest of ice sculptures, some soft and elegant, others sharp and menacing, but all were stunningly beautiful.

The weather proved a tad too much for my equipment, and almost too much for me! Rain combined with strong winds meant that the waves were constantly crashing over our zodiac, drenching all on board. I’m not sure what the temperature was, but because of the wet, I was absolutely freezing. Thank goodness my Columbia clothing kept my torso nice and dry, but ice water seeped it’s down the top of my pants, and my hands were frozen claws. My Canon camera was worse off than me – it simply died.

I was devastated for a little while, as I was silly enough to not bring a backup kit, but Jason later produced a Pentax body and lens kit for me to use. Phew! Pentax has invested a lot in weather sealing their cameras, and it obviously makes a huge difference. All the passengers I know who had their cameras out today experienced some sort of fault, only Jason’s gear kept going.

One good thing about being unable to shoot is that I’m forced to see the landscape independently of a viewfinder. When I stop framing shots and stop dividing my attention between my surroundings and my camera setting, I’m having a completely different experience. I know that I will have no other record of this experience other than what I will be able to remember, so I can’t help but switch into another mode of awareness, pay closer attention to detail, actually take note of sensations and smells, rather than just being concerned with the visual.

So while I’m in this mind frame (teeth chattering, lips purple and frozen solid, yet still enjoying how the zodiac is weaving between these heavenly ice structures) a leopard seal pops up from the waves less than a metre from our boat. It’s a massive creature, sleek and powerful, with a hunter’s intelligence gleaming in a pair of dark eyes. It stays by us for a while, circling and surfacing, all the while eyeing us with curiosity. I’m in awe, moved by the beauty of this wild creature, and very very glad that I’m not fussing about with dials like everyone else. The experience is worth far more than any photograph.

Tags: antarctica, photography

About annazhu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Antarctica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.