Existing Member?

Antarctic Adventure

Day 7, Prospect Islands & Fish Islands, 5.3.2010

ANTARCTICA | Wednesday, 14 April 2010 | Views [1181]

After such an action packed day yesterday, I slept like a log and woke refreshed and energised for another big day of landings.

Jason had given a slideshow presentation last night, at the request of our expedition leader Chris. We had been getting a bit of special treatment  - disembarking first and coming back on the last zodiac from every landing. Jason needed to maximise his shooting time, so it was a good idea to explain to everyone why we were in Antarctica.

Not surprisingly, his photographs were received with great appreciation. There are quite a few serious amateurs on board, so Jason has become an instant celebrity. He get’s cornered everywhere he goes and there’s always someone knocking on his cabin door.

What really astonished me was how patient he is with everyone, no matter if they had a little point-and-shoot or a lens kit to rival his own. If someone had a question for him, he would always do his best to answer and educate. This is a rare quality in a professional photographer, so lucky for me again!

We had a landing at Prospect Point in the morning, where we encountered a small colony of moulting Adelie penguins. It was difficult to shoot as there were brightly clothed people everywhere, but I did manage to compose a few clean frames before it got too crowded.

In the afternoon we took a zodiac cruise around the Fish Islands, were we saw more Adelies and a big gaggle of inquisitive cormorants. They swam right up to the zodiacs, diving under and around. Good thing we were cruising with the motors off.

I had been taking mostly portraiture up till now; it’s what I instinctively look for. But under Jason’s direction I applied myself more to the natural history side of photography today, trying to find simple, architectural compositions among the ice and glacial formations. There were definitely more misses than hits, but I thinks there’s a couple of solid frames that will end up in my final selection.

Tags: antarctica, photography

About annazhu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Antarctica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.