Existing Member?

SAVOR it i'm your ordinary "plain jane" who got to see w. europe last year...and my journey continues this year to w., e., and mediterranean europe. check out my videos at www.xanga.com/the_tereber_song

canakkale

TURKEY | Thursday, 8 November 2007 | Views [675]

it's cold now.  windy.  it bites.  oh well.

Canakkale!

i had a good feeling about canakkale.  just coming in on the bus.  good size.  a city.  near the troy ruins.  and gallipoli.

comic hostel owners.  incessant jokers/liars.  anzac hostel.

i had the FRESHEST fish here.  not fishy in the least.  fried slightly battered, in olive oil with fresh lemon wedges and rice on the side.  and of course the faithful basket of bread that can do no wrong too.  YUUUM.

troy : honestly, i was in and out.  my camera is acting up again.

gallipoli : i tour this one myself like with troy.  i'll do anything not to take a tour, but boy, did i walk and JUST miss dark clouds moving across in the distance. 

ran into one area where a gang of BIG dogs started to jump on me.  i pulled out my book and pretended to read.  silly.  then pulled out my bag of seed mix and said 'fine!' and threw it at them.  plunk.  it landed on the sidewalk and a couple of pumpkin seeds flew out.  imbecile.  i should have spilled them out because these dogs were not going to open this bag up by themselves.  and dogs don't eat seeds.  'i need four large pieces of raw meat, and the little dog can eat some of theirs', i thought.  where was i to get that now?

i walked a brisk walk.

two of the dogs followed me.  but as we came upon a loud moving tractor, farmers, sheep, and their dog...the two dogs growled, knew this was not THEIR territory and trotted back to where their friends were.

sigh.

the land of gallipoli is such that you could really imagine war there.  trenches and warfare, boys and men losing their lives.  there are many unusual stories of heroism and of a grievous and sad nature. 

across the aegean sea from canakkale was where i had the best turkish baklava. 

Tags: adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.