Existing Member?

Life is Happening for You

16 Hour Chinese Layover (and other observations)

CHINA | Friday, 24 May 2013 | Views [447]

Random thoghts: 

Well that visa thing is always a sticky situation, especially being an American in China
Got to love free luggage carts (keep up USA- this is how China is beating us) 
I love that proud moment when you see your bag on the carousel for the first time
Now its 13 hours of sitting in the open part of the airport- cant check in, cant leave the airport
 
 
Luckily the customs guy either felt sorry for me or just didn't want to deal with it (or had no other choice) but to let me in the country. No one told me at first but after about an hour of moping and feeling horrible that i was going to have to sit in the open part of the airport with my luggage a very nice flight attendant told me that the airport was closing at a certain point in the night and that i could in fact get a hotel room for the night! O happy day! I went to the hotel that the flight attendant recommended and got a room which would have been creepy under any other circumstances, but it was so much better than the alternative. 
 
At a certain point in my hour of moping my emotions were flaring and all i wanted to do was call my dad and talk to him. He always knows how to calm me down and look at the situation logically (probably something he used a lot during his affair). That's a trait he passed on to me: the ability to see both sides of most situations and justify both of them. I use it for shopping, he uses it for other things. 
 
It's been about a month since i first left and my how time flies. This month of moving around a lot (I've spent almost 48 hours on planes so far - not including the 5hour tarmac layover and time in the airports) and spending time with my friends who i don't get to see a lot, has been really therapeutic. Im not ready to forgive and forget (I don't know that ill ever be able to do both of those completely) but i think I'm ready to move out of the house. 
 
Next stop is Kathmandu - I'm currently sitting in the Kunming Airport in China - and i know that whatever issues i have from all this will be apparent when put under the pressure cooker of 2 weeks of high altitude physical stress. I'm going to try my best to be aware of them and write them down so i can work on them later. 

Tags: china, layover

 

About annacarlson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.