Existing Member?

Life is Happening for You

The Long Flight and Day 1: Auckland and Waiheke Island

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 28 April 2013 | Views [686] | Comments [2]

I LOVE Air New Zealand! that was by far the best 13 hour period I have ever spent on a plane. First - there was an individual television screen at every seat and the in-flight entertainment started as soon as you got on the plane - not after take-off. Next - I got the whole row to myself! 3 seats! for the price of 1!! So exciting!! Third - Bear Grills did the 'emergency procedures' video and it was hilarious! Lastly - They came by and served fruit-infused water and candy. I love my cnady adn fruit-infused water!

I actually slept for a fair amount of time and even tough it's 6:00pm and I've only had one good and one bad cup of coffee, I don't feel super tired as you normally do after a 13 hour flight. (For the record, the flight was 12 hours and 40 minutes, but I'm counting the amount of time I spent on the plane before we left the gate as the other 20 minutes and rounding to an even 13 hours.)

When I landed, I had no problem with getting my visa (as me later), the customs people had to clean off the bottom of my hiking boots (contamination something-or-other) but then I took a bus that dropped me off within a block of my hostel, put my stuff down, washed my face, brushed my teeth, and got a reccomendation on a breakfast cafe. At this point, it's still only 8:00am. I found this great little cafe and the guy recommended the eggs benedict, which was great and is one of my favorite breakfast foods, adn I got a latte (that was my good cup of coffee - the bad one was on the plane). I sat, wrote and read the paper for about an hour until I decided I stayed my welcome.

I decided that I wanted to go to Waiheke Island which had been recommended to me by a soccer friend. So I walked down to the ferry buildign and bought a return ticket to go explore the isaldn. It's a beah isladn that looks almost exactly like Hawaii - I thought I had telelported for a minute there. it has some Bodega Bay feel to it also, but the arcitecture and flauna were straight out of Hawaii. I guess they both technically are Pacific Islands! I hiked around the island, wine tasted in a winery and sat on the beach. It was very relaxing until the blister started to form on the back of my heel - me and my damn converse obsession!

Everyone in New Zealand has been so nice and welcomeing and slightly offended that I'm only spending 3 days in their country (even the Immigrations Officer seemed upset - I thought my visa was in jeopardy there!).

Tags: air new zealand, auckland, beach, hiking, new zealand, waiheke island, winery

Comments

1

Hey! So glad the visa didn't cause you a problem. Waiheke Island sounds heavenly - wish I was there. Have fun in Hobbiton!

  Janine Carlson Apr 29, 2013 12:30 AM

2

It is so much fun to imagine you having your eggs benedict or hiking around the beautiful island! Thank you for sharing the adventure with those of us stuck back at home!

  Catherine Ference Apr 29, 2013 10:13 AM

About annacarlson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.