Existing Member?

Tales from Gap Yah for Grown Ups

Noo Yawk

USA | Tuesday, 7 August 2012 | Views [478]

Two fossils

Two fossils

Travelling to the eastern US without  going to New York is a bit like having a bath with your socks on, so off we went on Tuesday July 31.

It’s only a four hour drive from Bawston and what’s more, you can collect states. You start in Massachusetts then go SW through Connecticut, around Rhode Island, maybe glancing off Noo Joisey  before hitting New York State. We’ve now got six: California, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.

The big detour was a shopping attack at Woodbury Green factory outlets, an hour out of NY, on recommendation from Anna’s friend Tash. Imagine ten thousand already quite well dressed people bargain hunting in a place got up  as a New England village, hitting each other with Lacoste carrier bags and you have some idea. Add in the fact that they’re about equal numbers Anglos, French Canadians, Chinese and Brazilians and you can imagine what the food hall sounded like.

We’d actually set off underweight so we could get some new clobber at half price. Tee shirts, runners and other assorted footwear went in the bag, Anna’s highlight being a couple of very nice slinky dresses for laughable sums while I got a Ralph Lauren blazer with what seems like neon buttons that completely outclasses everything else I’ve brought.

After what Anna later admitted were four hours and around $800 (I’d retreated to the café with my New York Times half way through) we batted on down for the big one: driving into NY.

The good news was that by then we’d had the car for four days and Anna had a slew of maps, most kindly provided by Henry in Canada. It was a snap, much easier than Boston, particularly as you count down the street numbers from 250th to 41st as you go south. It only gets messy after the 60s as you jostle with taxis that try to toot their way ahead of you and ignore lane markings.

And the crowning coup was handing back the car about three blocks from our hotel, thanks to Melodie having booked the hire for us. We actually felt like geniuses, helped by the fact that we were able to walk through the concourse of Grand Central Station en route to the hotel.

And the Library Hotel! We’ve booked two nights there as a bit of a splash before decamping to Brooklyn to stay with Dana and Dennis (and their lovely daughter Sydney). It’s small, friendly, perfectly located and unlike the place in Boston, the Wi-Fi and the fridge and the TV actually work. And the front desk just helped us get tickets for tonight’s showing of War Horse at the Lincoln Centre. Magic.

Sightseeing? We went up the Rockefeller Centre in the morning “Top of the Rock’’ to orientate (tick) then went south with our new one week subway passes past Wall Street to the Battery to go to the Statue of Liberty. Our first setback was that it was raining and cloudy and you can ‘t see a thing, plus the ferry didn’t go from the Battery (at the foot of Manhattan) anyway. And when the going gets tough, these urban guerillas go back to the hotel for a rest.

Later: War Horse was a wonderful show. It was directed by the National Theatre in the UK and the actors were locals in NY, and very good if a bit more racially diverse than history buffs would like. One British officer was Vietnamese and one of the soldiers was African American. But hey, this was never trying to be historically accurate. The acting was good but most of the joy was in the puppet horses, operated by three people each and each capable of carrying a man. A very memorable evening and a great opportunity to see a show that is currently running in the US and Canada but hasn’t got to Australia.

Thursday: Fell at the first fence by finding the Guggenheim was closed but gave nearby Central Park a shake on a hot day. Cross, then Tick.     

Went to MoMA instead and went well.  Tick. It has late 19th and early 20th century art that beats almost everywhere else outside maybe the Musee D’Orsay. Picasso, Van Gogh times three, Cezanne, Gauguin, Leger, Toulouse Lautrec, Degas, a roomful of Monet water lilies, etc etc. That was on the Fifth Floor. Then we went modern on the Fourth and it just wasn’t the same. Warhol and Lichtenstein were the best known, AND local, but a lot of the other stuff hasn’t really stood the test of time and while it was pretty “out there” in 1910 or so, now it firmly isn’t.

There we went off to the UN to have a guided tour  and that worked well. It’s a bit tatty as few of the 163 countries seem to get round to paying their dues but we were shown round by a nice Japanese lady who is a clear believer and told us a lot about all those subsidiary things like UNICEF and UNHCR and landmine removal etc that don’t get as much publicity as the often difficult issues like Syria.

And then we went to Brooklyn. Took bags on subway to Dana and Dennis where we were happily reunited with a couole whose wife Dana used to work for Anna in Sydney. Their daughter Sydney is now three and gorgeous as ever. Little Miss America with an Australian name . Dana and Dennis live in the garden  flat at the bottom of a nice 1890s brownstone and they had vacated their room for us so we took them and Sydney out to dinner. Chaotic but fun, topped off by the world’s best ice cream at a new place nearby called Ample Hills Creamery where Anna had an ice cream called “caught in the rain’’ because it tastes of Pina Colada.

Friday…back to Anna.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.