Existing Member?

Tales from Gap Yah for Grown Ups

Travels through New England

USA | Sunday, 29 July 2012 | Views [576] | Comments [2]

In the other Woodstock

In the other Woodstock

Thursday: Last day in Magog, Canada

Andrew and Henry played golf on the nearby Hermitage 9-hole course, which is nestled between the lake and a lovely forest. They barely saw another soul and Henry’s golf was a triumph of experience over youth. I did a bush walk through the same forest, equally deserted, but was lucky enough to hear, then spot, a rare owl.

In the late afternoon the two of us took a canoe out onto the lake. The water was millpond calm and we managed to paddle a reasonable distance along the shore for an uninterrupted view of some truly amazing Quebec real estate. Mount Orford shrouded in mist in the distance was also beautiful. 

Melodie later showed me photos of Magog in mid-winter: it’s hard to believe it’s the same place with a frozen expanse where the lake should be and hardy locals driving 4WDs into the middle to fish through holes in the ice.

Friday: Vermont

We said goodbye to Melodie, and Henry drove us down through Quebec (pronounced Kebec, not Kwebec) and across the border into Vermont in a lazy two and a half hour trip from Magog.

The US border guard at Stanstead was a laid back local who was far more interested in the fact that anyone could possibly have 11 weeks holiday than whether we were undesirable aliens. Stanstead literally sits on both sides of the US-Canadian border and neighbours cross the street - and countries - to have a chat or to mow each other’s lawns. George (Baby) Bush wanted to put a concrete wall across the entire 3,000 km border after 911 but the locals in towns like this wouldn’t have a bar of it!

We stopped for a coffee at the Brown Cow café for the usual bad American brew (why do we persevere?!) and a chat with the friendly owner, who reminisced about his exchange student from Port Macquarie and was selling raffle tickets: first prize a gun.

Vermont is drop dead gorgeous. Andrew reckons the Vermont logo should be a ride-on lawn mower, given their prevalence. The trees are beautiful now but must be amazing in autumn. Also love the brightly coloured timber houses and barns, most of which seem to be converted into  “antique” shops.

At Burlington “international” airport we sadly farewelled Henry and picked up our hire car. The Avis guy – this time an Aussie from Cairns – upgraded us to a great big something (Ford Escape???) which he assured us isn’t a gas guzzler….on va voir as they say in France.

We drove south through some lovely countryside with the Green Mountains to our east, stopped for lunch in Middlebury, a small university town, and arrived in Woodstock (still in Vermont) in the early evening.

Woodstock –picked via Google for its proximity to wiggly green roads - is not the famous music festival Woodstock but is New England at its best: every street and building a piece of history but not too twee. We had dinner at Bentley’s, a great restaurant-cum-bar with delicious food, mean blood orange daiquiris and a big flatscreen TV they had kindly tuned to the London Olympics opening ceremony – wow what a spectacle!

Saturday: More Vermont

This morning we went back into Woodstock, where the annual book festival was on the town green so we lashed out and spent $11 on half a dozen 2nd hand books and (yet another) indifferent coffee in the main street. We then pottered on in the Escape to Queechee Gorge, which the local tourism authority ambitiously describes as the Grand Canyon of New England. But we did spot a couple of very playful chipmunks and some colorful (almost A-team) birds.

In the afternoon we came across a fantastic pick-your-own blueberry farm – nearly two kilos for $10 and the biggest juiciest berries on bushes nearly 2 metres tall - eat your heart out Iona! We also enjoyed the longest covered bridge in the US at Windsor, a town that has seen better days but still attracts tourists for this attraction alone.

Torrential Sydney rain cut short our afternoon wanderings through southern Vermont and a big hotel room with hot tub, view of the Connecticut River and unlimited Wi Fi across in New Hampshire beckoned. It might even be a Thai takeaway in front of the Olympics kind of night….

Comments

1

SO JEALOUS OF THE BLUEBERRIES! Still $9 a punnet here... sounds like you've eaten enough for all of us xx

  iona Jul 29, 2012 3:56 PM

2

also try uploading photos! it isn't very hard and would be good to see... or at least put some on facebook x

  iona Jul 29, 2012 3:56 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.