Existing Member?

Tales from Gap Yah for Grown Ups

Canadian exploits

CANADA | Thursday, 26 July 2012 | Views [695]

Montreal 1

Brandy Ho’s in San Fran was a significant step up from our previous Chinese dinner and we were in good shape to get the plane to Montreal on Saturday afternoon. Air Canada got  off to an indifferent start by charging us $C45 to carry our one bag each to Montreal, the thin excuse being that everyone else did it. We were at least warned that they charge for food so we teetered onto the plane carrying a substantial picnic.

And it was a very new Airbus 319 with inflight entertainment etc for the five hour flight, a mere hop after the Pacific. My third cousin Henry Yates was there to meet us on landing and took us off to his family house in TMR, The Mount Royal, which as a former resident of Melbourne (in the 1960s) he compared to South Yarra. That’s versus the very grand Westmount’s Toorak, which we saw with Henry on Sunday morning.

Tootling around in Henry’s 2010 Lincoln was a bit of a change from San Fran’s hurly burly public transport, and very relaxing. We went to lunch at Henry’s tennis club, the Hillside Club, in some style and it was the club manager who told us that ”Mr Yates was chairman of the club’’. Henry was born in 1935 with his identical twin Ted, whom we also know, and whom he regularly impersonates at social functions, to much hilarity.  

Henry’s like that…low key but fun. He regaled us with how, as a young chemical engineer in the 1960s, he decided to try his luck for 18 months in Australia, nailing a job early with ICI after deciding that Newcastle with BHP, another job offered, might not be such fun.  He lived a champagne and chips existence where one minute he was being introduced to Robert Menzies on election day (for a 20 minute chat, which tells you how confident Menzies was), and the next he and a mate were driving a 1962 VW beetle from Melbourne to Darwin on some seriously unimproved roads. Henry said the recommended practice if you got stuck was to sit by the car and set fire to your spare tyre if you saw a plane passing.

He’s old Montreal, entirely and cheerfully Anglo, but his wife Melodie has some French Canadian and Irish ancestry. (She was away at their house in the country at Magog, where they spend more than half the year.)

They’re entirely cool about the strong and reportedly growing French culture in Quebec and say separatism is on the  wane after hitting 49.4 per cent in a referendum, thanks to a lot of trivial linguistic folly such as changing the word STOP to ARRET on road signs when the word STOP is universally understood. He speaks Churchillian (engineer’s) French himself.

We “did’’ old Montreal on Saturday afternoon and very lively and charming it was too. A good small museum at Chateau Ramezy, circa 1705 marked out the history, which tilted Anglowards in 1757 with General Wolfe’s capture of Quebec. There were various revolts and lurches in the early 1800s and for a while the Catholic church preached an early form of  ”back to the farm’’  Petainism. Henry told us that well into the 20th century there was a slavish adherence in some rural communities to what the priest said, right down to leaving rows of stones in the fields so they could warm the crops on sunny days.

But he pointed out that the French settlers had always brought intellectual traditions with them, unlike the Boers in South Africa, and what struck us was how there was a kind of intellectual and artistic competition between the French and the British for two centuries, with considerable artistic and architectural legacy to prove it.

We had a brief look at McGill University, well situated in Centre Ville thanks to Mr McGill having donated his farm in the mid 1800s when Montreal was a tiny town that had just outgrown its defensive city walls.

Tuesday: Off to Ottawa  with Henry to see the sights and meet his and Melodie’s daughter Brenda, who was a total poppet. Unlike Canberra, Ottawa had long been a commercial town before being declared the capital, with Henry noting that it was quite a place with loggers and fast ladies and riotous times. A bit quieter now.

We had lunch in the very splendid Chateau Laurier Hotel, a Gothic revival pile built in 1912 that characterised the rival Canadian Railway Companies’  habit of building big hotels near the railway and hoping they would come, And they did.

Karsh of Ottawa, the famous Syrian born photographer had a studio in the hotel in took  wonderful photographs of people like Churchill, Einstein and author Stephen Leacock, displayed on the walls.

Wednesday: Change of author now…We drove down to Magog today, a beautiful lake about two hours’ east of Montreal, where old Canadian families have traditionally spent the summer months. Henry and Melodie’s home is in a to-die-for location right on the shores of the lake and is a gracious 1920’s house surrounded by trees of the same vintage in an estate of similar houses. It is also part of a club with lovely restaurant, golf course and tennis courts.

Thursday: Today we met Cindy, Melodie’s niece, who is Anni Rowland Campbell’s great friend. Given Andrew’s distant family connection with Henry, I think that makes us practically related! We are hoping to “do drinks” with Cindy before we leave Canada. Andrew and Henry swore they saw a rare red squirrel near her house…Cindy can you vouch for this????

Henry, Melodie, Andrew and I went for lunch in a very cute town called Hatley, further along the lake. Most perfect summer’s day. Had the best fudge I have ever tasted with walnuts and maple syrup.  We then went back to Magog to take the brand new cruise boat out on the lake to spy on all the other lovely lakeside houses. Henry drives us down to Burlington Vermont on Friday to continue our travels towards Boston…stay tuned.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.