Existing Member?

Tales from Gap Yah for Grown Ups

Bumming about in Brooklyn

USA | Wednesday, 8 August 2012 | Views [596]

Fenton reunion in Sydney

Fenton reunion in Sydney

Friday

We set off from Brooklyn for the ultimate tourist experience of a cruise on the Hudson River and around the Statue of Liberty. Turned out it was us, a couple of locals and about 300 Chinese visitors who are very keen on all things democratic but are still mastering the fine arts of queuing, photography in crowded spaces and listening to the guide…bit of a bunfight really!

Uptown for a second –and this time successful - attempt at the Guggenheim Museum. The Frank Lloyd Wright snail-like building is absolutely astounding with its light-filled, circular ramp to the 7th level and a red Calder mobile bobbing from the ceiling. We loved a couple of the galleries but the abstracts and expressionists had us scratching out heads. 

Next some more research for Iona’s uni exchange and down to the area around New York University in Greenwich Village. The heat, the Chinese and all the kulture had so exhausted us that we slept on the Washington Square lawn before retreating back to Brooklyn for another Ample Hills ice-cream…and we weren’t the only ones with that bright idea!!

In the evening the two of us took up Denis’ recommendation and walked down the road to the Café Cubana, our first experience of Cuban food and $6 lime daiquiris. Loved the chicken with mango salsa, the Havana décor and the daiquiris…though nothing a few thousand litres of water the next day couldn’t fix. 

Saturday

Brooklyn has a great Saturday grower’s market where our breakfast-on-the-run comprised a delicious bun and quality coffee (yay about time). We also loaded up on fruit and veg, including three punnets of perfect raspberries for $10.

Andrew and I took fresh watermelon and grapes with us to do a sweltering walk across the Brooklyn bridge over to Manhattan. Great views all the way and not too punishing distance-wise though a few too many dopey tourists and gung-ho cyclists for my liking.  

The new-ish High Line walk we did afterwards was much more local but also provided great city views and people watching. Built along an old raised subway line along the west side of the lower-midtown, it’s a great example of clever eco design and urban regeneration. Some really stylish and no doubt pricey new apartments overlook it.

In the early evening Denis took us to Williamsburg, the newly trendy part of Brooklyn, where all the edgiest and most interesting eateries, bars and boutiques are to be found. We dined at a great place called St Anselm’s (the patron saint of steak?). Andrew and I both had an outstanding “butcher’s steak” for a mere US $15 a head. 

Sunday

We’d pre-booked tickets online to visit the 9/11 memorial, which opened on the 10th anniversary last September, and so turned up at our appointed timeslot on yet another hot, sultry New York day. Predictably, a 20-minute security regime followed before we reached the site itself.

The black marble memorial had seemed a bit austere on TV but was actually beautiful in its simplicity. Two huge, square pools cover the exact footprints of the north and south towers, each engraved with the names of victims around the edge. Within each square is a 30-metre fountain descending into the earth. There are no other plaques or political statements or explanations, just the 2,900 odd names themselves, including one of a woman “and her unborn child”.

There’s also a tree, the only one to survive the collapse of the twin towers, which has been nurtured back to health and replanted nearby with the financial support of the Bavarian Government.

We then returned to Dana and Denis’ apartment in Brooklyn for a delicious Caribbean lunch that Denis had picked up from a nearby hole in the wall. We briefly saw Dana’s Dad and mother-in-law who had dropped Sydney back from a sleepover tired and imperious but as gorgeous as ever.  Then it was time to say our goodbyes and Dana drove us to Newark Airport in New Jersey for our flight to Frankfurt. We’ll miss you guys!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.