Existing Member?

LucyEthel Takes a Trip “Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” Miriam Beard

My new house and friends

USA | Saturday, 26 September 2009 | Views [332] | Comments [1]

Although the plan is to spend over 100 hours talking, there is a rule that prohibits talking about certain topics.  We are to stay away from American politics, bull fighting, Francisco Franco, and religion.  I’m not sure why we have to avoid Franco, who has been dead since the mid-‘70’s but evidently, so memories last a long time.  Bull fighting is a battle between basically PETA people and sports fans.  I honestly don’t think American politics or religion would be an issue based on the folks that like to do this type of thing, but I could be wrong.

One of the more interesting people here is a Brit named John.  He is in his mid-70’s and has attended 8 other sessions.  He is very funny and sharp witted.  I am sure he’s going to be a favorite of everyone.  There is a girl from Lee’s Summit.  I’m sure we’d never meet in KC, so it’s kind of funny.   There are at least 3 young lawyers here who can tell some wicked lawyer jokes.  One of them is originally from St. Louis.  There’s also a girl from North Dakota--via Norway, a retired corporate person from Starbucks that’s met Bono (and a slew of other notables), economists, physicists, and government employees.    The requisite ‘old hippie’ is here, of course.  His celebrity brush was with Keith Richards.  I didn’t ask how that happened.  At least 2 people are involved in nuclear programs; one is a facility inspector and another is the physicist, who worked in Russia.  I haven’t talked to her yet but am anxious to do so.  Altogether, I think there are about 40 people, equal numbers Anglos and Spaniards.  I am surprised at the number of young people—by that, I mean people in their 20’s and 30’s—in both groups.  I guess it is attractive to most of us to have a week ‘free’ in a Spanish resort.

A major story is the Iberian black legged pig.  I'll have to write about that exclusively at some point.  Suffice it to say that the Spaniards love ham.

The weather is perfect.  My house is a lovely 2 bedroom/2 bath.  The fridge is filled with minibottles of liquor but since there is a bar, I won't be tempted.  Pictures of area posted soon.

Comments

1

Sounds like a very interesting Anglo crew. Have any of them done programs together before?

  Kathryn Sep 26, 2009 11:02 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.