Existing Member?

LucyEthel Takes a Trip “Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” Miriam Beard

Talk, Talk, Talk

USA | Sunday, 27 September 2009 | Views [332] | Comments [3]

Pictures:

My house

Hotel & Spa behind my house:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/aphs.worldnomads.com/anita_81/18985/Hotel_and_Spa.jpg

View from my house:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/aphs.worldnomads.com/anita_81/18985/view_2_from_room.jpg

The focus of the day was to complete 5 one-on-one conversations with the Spaniards.  We had a skit about pickpockets which was re-enacted in slow motion so we could watch how clever the pickpockets are.  The fact that the role was played by 3 of the participants didn’t go unnoticed.  Now I keep an eye on those women at all times.

The conversations were fun because I tried to stay away from the boring ‘what’s your job’ or ‘tell me about your family’ topics.  I learned about paddle tennis, which evidently is a country club sport created in the US but is very popular in Spain and South America.  In addition, there is an exciting item called ‘Termomix’ which evidently can cook gourmet meals at the touch of the button.  I looked it up on the Internet and it looks like a cross between a crockpot and a blender.  However, it is very expensive ($1500) and must be purchased through a home demonstration.  Kinda  like Tupperwear or Silpada jewelry.   It is not available in the US.  One Spaniard told me it was the second best invention of all time (expresso machine being the first).  Another said that it was stupid and horrible; he would never use it—he likes a skillet!  So anyway, everyone has an opinion.  Another person manages the Spanish Mint and I learned about how the EU handles the production of euros.  Spain prints only ones and fives.

I was surprised to learn that I am reading one of the most popular books in Spain.  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larrson.  In Spain, it is called The Man who Loves Women.    Anyway, all three of the books have been published here but only 2 in the US.  The stoy is slow in the beginning but I am assured that I won’t be able to put it down soon.

Another beautiful day in La Alberca.  I’m really having so much fun. 

Comments

1

I am in awe.
1)Your non-boring conversations, they sound like so much fun.
2) Your capacity to shop EVEN while being sequestered in the Spanish hills.
3) The fact that you find time to write about it all.
You're not scrimping on your siesta, are you?

  Kathryn Sep 27, 2009 8:29 AM

2

Anita - According to Bill, your trip will NOT be complete until you find out how to say "good morning" and "good day" in Spanish. I really look forward to reading your blogs every day. What a great way to share your trip with everyone! We'll raise a glass of wine to you tomorrow night at Carino's.

  Barb C Sep 28, 2009 8:08 AM

3

Anita,

The picture of your home in Spain and your description sounds like it is ok.
You are really fitting in :-)
It is interesting to read about your new knowledge of table tennis.
Luiz Moreira's brother in Brazil was a professional player for many years, playing through out Brazil and other South American countries.
Melanie

  M Scott Sep 29, 2009 3:02 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.