Existing Member?

Rigel and Erin A 10 month journey south along the Pacific coast, or so the thought is.

Townsend to Potlatch

USA | Monday, 9 September 2013 | Views [335]

(Rigel Writing) In Townsend we stayed at the camp ground in town at an old Fort.  The boat festival in town was a good excuse to rest without covering much distance.  There was dancing, big wood boats being shown, and a whole fair. We camped in a tiny site that really couldn't accommodate our group size, the only saving grace was an invitation to "use the paths."  Still, the rain stopped and we started to dry out.

After Townsend we went past (South of) Quilcene and camped halfway up Mt Walker.  It was an exhausting ride with a big altitude climb at the end.  The weather further cleared and we benefitted from more drying.  Still, I had hand washed some clothes in Townsend and they could not dry much past hand-wrung all day.  The campsite, called "falls view" is a hole with no water, rotting picnic tables, and a gorge for water access.  Still, given that the whole region is a temperate rainforest, the trees were still incredible as with all the previous places.  Huge tall things swaying by meters at the top like grass in a field.

Today we arrived in Hoodsport and discovered the active marine industries here from a hydro electric dam to a hatchery to different farmed foods in the ocean.  A local fisherman shared his salmon while Bryan, Maggie, and Kirsten who had ridden ahead and set up on his lawn stayed in town, we went further ahead to the Potlatch campsite and stayed there about 5 miles further down the road.

Now for a ride in the dark down a nearly shoulderless highway.  Turn on the lights and head for the tent!

 

 

About animalrv


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.