Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 2 - Ennerdale Bridge to Stonethwaite

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 2 September 2010 | Views [510] | Comments [1]

In front of a tarn (pond) atop the Haystacks.

In front of a tarn (pond) atop the Haystacks.

Big day planned at 15.5 miles, and it turned out to be just that almost exactly.  We took a packed lunch from the farm B&B and set out at about 8:15.  The map said that the first few miles would be on level terrain along Enneradale Water, but it didn't tell us that we would scrambling over small boulders most of the way.  About halfway to our destination, we diverged from the main trail in the river bottom and took a smaller path at an angle ascending the mountain to the left.  It got a bit precipitous at times, but it was great to see us rising steadily over the poor sods below, knowing that thwey would have to eventually rise to our height.  Just when we thought it couldn't get worse, we ran into a series of rocky outcrops called The Haystacks, and the trail went right over the top of them.  After a bit of hand over foot rock climbing, we walked along the top for some stunning views of the Cumbrian fells, lakes, and fleecy clouds in an uncharacteristically blue sky.  The descent was much more gradual and less hair-raising.  Our hotel in Stonethwaite was perfect, the food and drink were excellent, and the bed was huge and soft!

 

Comments

1

Wonderful journey and fun to follow. Jealous of the sticky toffee pudding. Keep the journal coming. Cheerios

  Ashland Cool J Sep 9, 2010 3:31 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.