Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 1 - St Bees to Ennerdale Bridge

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 1 September 2010 | Views [535]

Hiker monument that we found on the first day's walk.

Hiker monument that we found on the first day's walk.

We took a bit of a shortcut this day because we weren't real sure about legs and ankles and such (But have no fear, we are going to walk every step ocean to ocean!).  Smooth walking from St Bees, and some great views back to the Irish Sea as we began ascending into the North Yorkshire fells.  Toward the middle of the walk, we ascended about 800 feet up a hill, then walked down the much steeper back side, much to the chagrin of knees and toes.  We arrived pretty early at our first B&B, a farm about 1 mile short of the town of Ennerdale Bridge.  It's a working farm with horses, several dogs, chickens, and a few sheep.  They were actually in the middle of an inspection of the premises by the county examiner, so the lady of the house nervously ushered us into the kitchen for some tea.  We were joined by her husband the farmer, and the two rather reminded me of Ma and Pa Kettle.  Salt of the earth, down to earth, and definitely brooked no nonsense.  We were joined at tea by their two Rottweilers, one of whom laid under the table and began passing gas.  Anita and I looked at each other and wrinkled our noses, and the next round, our hostess declared "Oooh, she's let off, han't she?"  Anita's response was "Well I was hoping it was the dog," which sent the husband into absolute stitches.  The third time was the charm--he kicked the dog and shouted "Get out, you fartin' git!"  Immensely entertaining.

Since there wasn't any wine at the farm, we decided to walk the 1.3 miles into the village for something to drink, and returned to the farm for a dinner of pot roast and vegetables.  Good food and plenty of it.  Went to bed after coffee and a bit of chat with the other four guests.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.