Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Our first two days in Scotland / England

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 26 June 2009 | Views [526] | Comments [3]

We left for the airport at 4:15 am!!  We were all pretty perky, looking forward to our flights…westward.  Vinnie was the least perky as he thought getting to the airport 21/2 hours before our flight was overkill.  He was probably right…but don’t tell him!  All three of us were on the same flight to London so we sat together and chatted on the plane or read our newspapers.  In the airport we all had flights scheduled to leave at 11:35, but at different locations.  We kissed Bernie goodbye and he left on the train for his flight home.  We wept.

Vinnie and I landed in Edinburgh a bit ahead of schedule.  The rental car was waiting for us, unfortunately we found out it was a manual transmission.  They did not have another alternative so bravely we took our luggage, loaded it up into our new car, and drove off.  Vinnie is doing much better with it than I expected….let’s hope this keeps up.  Driving on the left side isn’t too much problem but when you add the manual to the mix it can get a bit tricky.  We arrived at our guest house around 4 pm.  It is very nice, we are in Rothbury for three nights.  We took a nice stroll around the town then had dinner at the pub next door. 

Today was laundry day for us!  We had to drive about 20 minutes to a town that had a launderette.  It’s great to have fresh smelling cloths again!  Vinnie even managed to find a barber for a trim!  We finished up by noon, grabbed a few groceries and then proceeded with our plan of walking.  Our first attempt for our scheduled 7 mile walk was ruined as the road was closed and we could not figure out a way around that wouldn’t take an hour!  Instead we picked a smaller walk close to where we are staying and did only 4 miles.  It was quite nice…a bit steep in places.  We ended up having to climb up a bit of rock wall to get to our destination but that added more to our adventure so we didn’t mind. 

Tomorrow calls for another, much longer, walk. 

Cheers!

 

Comments

1

Fresh laundry and a haircut - aye, that's the ticket! Left-handed manual transmission? OMG! A pic of the new car when you can.

  Bernie Jun 26, 2009 4:10 AM

2

Finally in Scotland! I bet it feels good to be back! Can't wait to see more pics (hint hint hint)

  Beth Jun 26, 2009 5:00 AM

3

I drove a stickshift in Ireland back in '91... it was a ball! But I had all four fingers and a thumb on my left hand back then... howz that going, Brother Dup??

  Philip Jun 27, 2009 3:43 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.