Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Last three days with Bernie...

GERMANY | Wednesday, 24 June 2009 | Views [483] | Comments [1]

Last day in Italy was at Lake Maggiore.  In retrospect, it was a beautiful place and we could have scheduled at least a few days of sight seeing there…oh well!  Instead we arrived late afternoon and checked into our “below” standard hotel.  It wasn’t what we’d hoped it would be, not realizing that the town was much larger and more touristy than we thought.  Anyway…we dropped our luggage and went for a nice walk down the shore line, stopped for coffee (shocking I know!) and then walked back through the lakeside town.  Dinner that evening was gelato!  Yummy!

Next day we left the hotel early, grabbing coffee and a pastry prior to leaving, and drove toward Switzerland.  The drive was spectacular, views from every angle, waterfalls and the weather was clear skies in the morning.  We took a side-trip into FL, making it a long enough drive so we could put a pin on our map!  It was very picturesque, soft green mountains with clouds coming up behind them and wrapping them in mist.  The weather was a bit dreary by this time and only got worse the further North we drove.  We landed in Augsburg around 3 that afternoon.  We stayed at a very nice hotel (Vinnie’s choice this time) and had a fab dinner at one of our old haunts, The King of Flanders Cellar.  They make everything from scratch including the beer. 

Our final day in Germany was spent leaving Augsburg mid morning and heading down the “Romantic Road” towards Austria (we needed to be in Munich by 5).  It was a very rainy day so we couldn’t do any real looking around the towns so we did the next best thing…a “Sunday” drive.  We saw lots of pretty scenery and pasted by a few castles.  Lunch was at a Gasthous on the side of the road.  We’ve gotten pretty good at restaurant choices, stopping only at places that seem relatively busy.  Lunch was really good….Vinnie finally found a snitzchel with a sauce and Bernie and I had Hungarian goulasch with spatzle.  Arrived at our Hotel in Erding (we stayed there the first night in Germany) and ended up eating at their Italian restaurant….we weren’t hungry but the owner wanted to know where we were dining that evening and we caved under pressure!

The End of Germany…..

Over the Channel we go…off to England.  Cheers!

 

Comments

1

15 hotels, 3500 miles, 1 Peugeot (50 mpg!), 9 countries, 3.5 gallons of cappucino...a great trip.

  Bernie Jun 26, 2009 4:04 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.