Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

England day 3

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 27 June 2009 | Views [497] | Comments [3]

We had a good day today.  Left the b&B around 8:30 am for a walk along the coast, Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle.  It was a beautiful ruin of a castle which you could still walk around and see all of the bits and pieces.  We looked around there for about an hour and then headed out for our 4 mile walk hugging the coast to the next town.  It began to rain after leaving the castle so up went our umbrellas and on went the rain coats.  The down pour only lasted about 20 minutes, then the fog descended and it just cloaked us in wet.  Luckily it wasn't so thick that we couldn't see our surroundings. It was a great walk with plenty to see.  The rain started up again just as we got back to the car.  We then headed up the road to Bamburgh Castle, this one a complete one.  We spent a few hours looking around inside and then headed back to our lodging for the evening (it was about 5 when we reached here).  We'd planned on going in and having a nice cup of hot tea (blustery day) but when we arrived we found a note on the door saying that we had been moved.  Evidently they had made a mistake and put us down for only 2 nights instead of 3.  After a bit of talking and looking back at emails it was discovered that they had made the mistake (not us thank god) but we'd already been moved to a tiny room made for a single.  All the other B&Bs are booked in town for the night so we are here, in our tiny room, snug as bugs and happy that at least we have a place to stay.  We ate at an Italian place tonight...just can't get away from those darn Italians!  It was pretty good...ended the evening with hot sticky toffee pudding so who can complain!

 

Comments

1

Sounds SOOO delightful! I can just imagine walking along the coast, the rain gently spattering your face until it becomes too numb with cold to feel anymore. What a perfect excuse for a toffee pudding and warm scone! :)

  Beth the Wistful Jun 27, 2009 6:41 AM

2

An Italian menu in English - wow! No surprise seafood ingredients, I guess. You'll have to make the toffee pudding on my next Madison visit (after the canoli, of course.)

  Bernie Jun 28, 2009 12:55 AM

3

I am mounting a highlands search and rescue team to look for you guys. Did Nellie get you?

  Bernie Jul 6, 2009 2:28 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.