Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 18: Dover

USA | Saturday, 22 November 2008 | Views [524] | Comments [6]

Babe in gateway at Dover Castle

Babe in gateway at Dover Castle

Started with a continental breakfast this morning, instead of the full English breakfast, then drove to the southeast coastline to visit Dover.  The only other times we had been here have been approaching by sea on the ferry from Calais, so it was fun to be on the top of the white cliffs looking down on the bustling port activity.  Dover Castle is the largest castle we have seen to date.  Started as an Iron Age hill fort, then Roman lighthouse location, then medieval castle, then Henry II really added in the eleventh century.  During WW II, there was quite a complex of planning and communications activity in honeycombs of tunnels inside the cliffs, which we got to tour today.  After the castle, we had soup and bread at a tea shop in Dover, a brief walk around town, then drove north along the coast, through a terrible rush hour in Canterbury, and back to our B&B near Maidstone.  Our hostess recommended a tiny pub a few miles from here, where I (Vinnie) has a delicious rump of lamb from Romney (twins, remember the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh?), Anita had a mediocre chicken breast, and we both had scrumptious sticky toffee pudding for desert, sans physalis.

 

Comments

1

Yes, haven't seen the Scarecrow forever. Wonder how it would hold up to a current viewing...

  Twin Nov 22, 2008 11:41 AM

2

I'm sure it would view just fine. I remember liking it quite a bit.

In the same vein, don't know if you noticed this -- http://journals.worldnomads.com/anijensen/gallery/13281/399972.aspx

  Vinnie Nov 22, 2008 6:45 PM

3

Yes, reminds me of 2 things: the billboard on Hwy 101 (somewhere up by Ukiah?) and the story record playing on the Hi-Fi.

  Bernie Nov 23, 2008 3:46 AM

4

I don't remember a "Admiral Benbow" near Ukiah, but I do remember the record (3 Musketeers or Robin Hood on the flip side). Unfortunately, the book has the inn in Bristol, not Penzance....

  Vinnie Nov 23, 2008 4:13 AM

5

Yes, reminds me of 2 things: the billboard on Hwy 101 (somewhere up by Ukiah?) and the story record playing on the Hi-Fi.

  Bernie Nov 23, 2008 4:53 AM

6

"...we both had scrumptious sticky toffee pudding for desert, sans PHYSALIS." So, slipped in so quietly, is this the final word on the orange fruit mystery? I have Image Googled "Physalis" and it looks nothing like the fruit pictured earlier on the creeping wall. I happen to grow this plant in our yard and there is nothing edible or good about it. Obviously I am missing something here...I love your travel log!

  Stephen the Elder Nov 24, 2008 4:13 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.