Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 19: Brighton

USA | Sunday, 23 November 2008 | Views [504] | Comments [3]

Brighton pier

Brighton pier

Beth will be jealous to hear that we headed to Brighton today.  WOW.  It was fantastic.  We took the very long route there, it was probably only 40 miles away but took us several hours of leisurely driving to arrive.  We got off the path following the Romney Marsh driving trail.  It was very scenic but somehow never made it even close to Romney Marsh! 

Anyway, Brighton is one heck of a busy place.  Everyone was bundled up in warm winter wraps trying to stay warm.  The people are a very diversified anglo-saxon lot.  Many different colors of hair, many different types of outfits...every one of them interesting and seemingly friendly!  I could have people watched all day.  Back on track: we drove into Brighton and parked near the North Laine area.  We weren't sure how close we were at this point to the "Lanes" or to the Sea.  Walked out of the parking lot into the steaming crowds and "boing" - sound affects- we were right there!  There was wonderful architecture all around so we went to look for a bite to eat....yes, one has nothing to do with the other :) 

Lunch: Carb heaven!  Welsh Rabbit and Scones!  (Vinnie is still wondering what happened to the rabbit).  A fun little tea house right off of the Ocean Walk area, closer to the shopping.  We smooshed ourselves into the tea shoppe and headed down stairs, found a table, sat and was waited upon quickly.  Tea and Coffee came in a snap, then we were joined by a few other folks, at our table, quick conversation, then our food came....ate, up and out we went to see the sights.  We hit the Seaside area, looked around, snapped a few shots and headed to somewhere indoors!  The Grand Pavilion was awesome!  It is one of those things you need to see to believe.  It was a Play palace for King George IV and boy did he know how to have fun.  It was quite fantastic.  Very oriental in theme and very extravagant.

We hit our parking deck at 3:30 and rushed off because we have found it very difficult to find our new BBs in the dark!  Only 20 miles away, of course it took us at least 45 minutes and it was very dark when we arrived.  We went by it twice, and literally fell into the drive way trying to get out of the car behind us's way (yes, I know us's is not a word)!  Very nice...Dinner...we think it is going to be Indian!

Comments

1

I say children, have you lost a day someplace....you say you toured Brighton on Sunday the 23rd but I am reading this on Saturday afternoon the 22nd....or am I in a time warp? Just curious...glad you're finding lots of good places to eat that can be included in your, soon to be published, tourist guide to fine dining in England

  Bradley Wood Nov 23, 2008 5:49 AM

2

From www references: "George is remembered largely for the extravagant lifestyle that he maintained as prince and monarch. By 1797 his weight had reached 17 stone 7 pounds (111 kg or 245 lb),[2] and by 1824 his corset was made for a waist of 50 inches (127 cm).[3] He had a poor relationship with both his father and his wife, Caroline of Brunswick, whom he even forbade to attend his coronation. He was a patron of new forms of leisure, style and taste."
I wonder if Americans could be prevailed upon to watch their weight more closely if weight was reported in STONE? I would. Enchanted by your reporting!

  Stephen the Elder Nov 24, 2008 4:23 AM

3

I too noticed that it said "Sunday" instead of Saturday. It is not something I can change as it is internal so we lost a day....hmmm...how come I'm still here then? Leaving for home tomorrow morn!

  Anita Nov 24, 2008 5:01 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.