Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 7: Numby goes on vacation

USA | Tuesday, 11 November 2008 | Views [426]

Numby on vacation, top of the tower Warwick Castle

Numby on vacation, top of the tower Warwick Castle

The rain was still falling when we woke up this morning, but being the excellent sport I am, we jumped in the car and headed to Warwick Castle and beyond.  But not after first eating another expansive breakfast.  I’ve tried several dishes, porridge, just fruit, even yogurt which I still don’t like the taste of.  This morning it was back to the tried and true heart stopper: eggs, bacon and a tomato with dry toast.  Numby (aka Vinnie) had his typical full plate with everything.  After just one week I look like I am three months along….

Anyway, back to the story: Warwick Castle.  Made it there in no time at all, speeding at heart stopping speeds up the A roads.  After pulling my heart back into place we got out of the car, into the rain, and headed towards the castle.  I must admit that this was my idea because I had read that Madame Tussauds' did the wax figures in the manor.  They were fantastic!  Very life like…interesting and breath taking if you could see them beyond the hordes of Asian tourists that were snapping their cameras like mad.  Actually, they were very pleasant (the tourists from the Orient) and we took several photo’s for them to take back home.  But answer me this – why do they put their finger to their face like “Shirley Temple”?  Anyway (again), it was pretty neat and if not for the rain it would have been neater!  After seeing the castle we headed up to St. Mary’s church to see the dead people, then to the main walls of the city and then to eat (we were of course hungry after eating only a few hours before).  We came across the coolest little tea room that was stuck back into a walled in close from the 16th century.  Vinnie had an interesting soup called broccoli and stilton blue and I had a cheese scone (no wonder I look preggers!).

Next stop, Kenilworth Castle, which we hit upon just as it was closing at 4 pm.  We did have a chance to walk around the outside walls, see the rivers spilling over from the rain, which had just finally stopped, and then head back to the car.  It took us about 3x longer to make it home after many wrong turns in Warwick (which we ended up going through 2x) finally making it home around 6 pm.  We are now back in our room and getting ready to go out for dinner.  We’ve had to train ourselves to eat a bit later than at home as the “kitchens” don’t open until 6:30 – 7:00.    P.S. Dinner was a pretty forgettable Italianesque dinner -- bland English style.

Dinner of day 4: pork faggets anyone?  Do you know what they are?  I thought I did and ordered them....take a guess.  hint: Vinnie and I traded dinners that evening....

-Cheers!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.