Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 6: Was that the Sun?

USA | Monday, 10 November 2008 | Views [353]

Where is Henry?

Where is Henry?

We started out the day with the sun shining and the tummy full.   Drove to Gloucester to visit the Cathedral and see if we could find Harry Potter.  We arrived, parked for free! and wended our way towards the abbey.  Upon arrival we found that the church was full of people (what’s up with that?) attending Mass.  We waited, wandering outside and gazing upward at the tall spirals.  Whilst gazing, wetness decended upon us, the rains had arrived!  We quickly ducked into the Cathedral, ignoring Gods’ chosen ones in worship.  They were expecting us heathens and quickly guided us towards the outer cloister.  It was quite lovely!  We wandered there in awe, reading the tombstones that were set in the floors until mass was finished (see picture).  After a quick wee, we headed into the main portion of the church and found King Richard II laying in state.  Quite something! 

Having finished looking through the Cathedral we wandered a bit down towards the docks (not much to see), stopped for a quick tea and beer, then back to our car park.  We were hoping to find the folk museum open but it is closed on Sundays and Mondays.  So, we hopped into the car, out of the strong gale forces of the wind and rain.   Happily we made our way East, then South then East again following a map in our National Geographic book.  That finished off the Northern Cotswolds portion of our trip.  We slowly drove the back roads back towards our B&B. 

The late afternoon was spent sending out emails to various B&Bs in the Cardiff area hoping they might take us in for a few nights.  One more day will see us up North to Warwick so that we may finally take a gander at the big castle.  More excitement to follow tomorrow!

Dinner: Pub Grub:  The Old Manse: Fish and Chips (Vin) and Lemon Sticky Chicken for me J  MMMMmmm…yum!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.