Existing Member?

Journeys.... Let's explore the world by foot and take the highest road that has the most potholes...

Day 8 and 9: Wales

USA | Thursday, 13 November 2008 | Views [457]

Cardiff Castle, Wales.  Norman Keep

Cardiff Castle, Wales. Norman Keep

Two days have gone flying by since our last update.  We hated saying goodbye to Ann and Margaret.  They were so nice, accommodating and staying with them was easy. 

We arrived yesterday around noon to the Cardiff area and immediately went to see the Open Air Museum in St. Fagan’s.  It was very interesting, lots of examples of how folks from 500 BC to current day.  We stopped for a quick bite at the museum before beginning.  It is amazing how the food is relatively good no matter where you get it.  Not fantastic, just good.  I had a “vegetable” soup and Vinnie had an egg salad sandwich.  

Left the museum around 4:30 with the intent of heading back there the day we leave Wales for a run to the castle.  We did not want to do it so late in the day and miss anything!

Arrived at our new B&B – Gleynis Farm, in Radyr Wales, had to cross a railroad crossing, getting out of the car, opening the gates (two of them) and then closing the gates behind us.  It is a little disconcerting to run back and forth across the tracks just waiting for the train to come.  The light is green…go….turns red….stop what you are doing or just hurry faster.  So far, no deaths have occurred!  Nice room, nice farm, nice horses, really nice folks!  The bed is quite comfy!!  Walked to a pub for dinner, Vinnie…yes, he had fish and chips (shocking I know) and I tried a rump steak with chips.  Very good meal

Day 2 in Wales saw us up a bit earlier than our last stop (breakfast there was served between 8:30 to 8:45….so don’t be late!  Here breakfast is whenever you ask them for it…much easier J  We headed into Cardiff around 9am, easy drive, great navigator!!  Went to Cardiff Castle (cool – see photos soon) and then stopped at a diner type place for a bite to eat (wouldn’t want to miss a meal!).  Chicken and Leek pie (Anita) Cheese and leek sausage (yes, no meat) both were very good.  Hit the National museum, blew through at a decent clip, much to Vinnies dismay.  Museum looking is not a two person sport!  Cardiff is a pretty town, much going on and hordes of people walking about. 

Tonight, we are planning our journey southward.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.