Existing Member?

ange in africa...again one aussie girl, 6 weeks, back to the continent that captured my heart

best week ever

KENYA | Monday, 3 September 2007 | Views [619] | Comments [1]

the last week has been the best i've had since i've been away. it was super. i spent some time at a different project, the joy world children's home, and i have to say these kids are so awesome, so intellegent, so eager. on thursday we took them to the beach which was just awesome cos it was the first time ever for some of them, so they were heaps excited! there was this one little girl who's only four and we'd been playing, swimming building sandcastles etc. then she came up to me like on the verge of tears, saying something to me in swahili and i'm like i don't know what that means! i asked some of the other girls what she was saying and they told me to go and ask the house mama. so i go up to her, holding the hand of the now almost balling child, and asked her what she was saying and it turns out she needed to do a poo! the poor little thing! it took me about 15 minutes from the time she came up to me to the time she actually got her request met, she must've nearly messed herself!

finally had a weekend away also, spent the weekend at tiwi beach, just south of mombasa. its so peaceful and chilled there, its not as developed as some of the other beaches around mombasa so you can actually walk up and down the beach and not have anyone coming up to you trying to sell you stuff, its awesome! the banda we stayed in was like $8 each a night so it was pretty basic but it was only a short walk across the lawn to the beach, so no complaints here! it had a grass roof which was pretty cool, until the monkeys got in and ate all our fruit, yes thats right monkeys! and after eating all our fruit they then proceeded to shit and piss all through the banda, which was a nice touch i thought!

friday night was spent foolishly drinking vodka that cost 300 shillings  per bottle (about $5), hence us buying a bottle each and polishing it off! turned it at 3am and had to get up at 6:45 to be picked up to go on a snorkelling trip, not my finest hour let me tell ya! so i spent most of the day with my head hung over the side of the boat, vomiting in front of 20 strangers, all class. hangover and embarrasment aside, i had a great day, the islands are printine and the reef rivals the great barrier. saw so much fish and coral, it was grand.

then spent most of sunday laying on the sand in a contemplative mood, thinking of how i can be a better person and make changes in my life having had this experience of a lifetime. got a bit homesick listening to the hilltops and the herd, am missing all my peeps! back to reality now though and the hustle and buslte of mombasa, although feeling really shite today with a touch of delhi belly. so thats me folks, stay safe, happy and healthy...ange

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

Comments

1

Hey Ange

The beach photos look sooo nice, cleaner sand than round here!!

You look different already even tho its not much more than a month you been gone. Hope you're using sunscreen.

Continue to enjoy...be safe and happy.

miss you
love

mum
xxxooo

  mum Sep 6, 2007 12:44 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.