Existing Member?

ange in africa...again one aussie girl, 6 weeks, back to the continent that captured my heart

another day in paradise

KENYA | Monday, 27 August 2007 | Views [627] | Comments [1]

the end of another week. its hard to believe i've been travelling for a month already. although it feels like 4 years not four months! have had a pretty good week, have had to say goodbye to some volunteers i've been working with which was a bit sad. its amazing how quickly you bond with people here.

i had a crazy experience in a matatu on thursday, i was the last one trying to get out and the driver started driving off and the conductor was closing the door. i'm like, hey i'm getting out here, and i had to push him out of my way and jump from a moving vehicle! i smashed my head and my leg and was so damn pissed off after, damn crazy people! apparently i could've told the police who were near by and they would've been arrested, but you don'tknow these things at the time or whether you might end up being the one's who's arrested!

have had a very indulgent weekend too. went to a plush italian restaurant on friday night that had the best food i've eaten the whole time i've been away. after dinner we headed upto the bar, which was like big time culture shock. i felt like i was back in gladdy at players or something. the place was fullof drunken bad dancing white people! it was so bizarre! but good to know there's a place i can go if i'm feeling homesick and need a bit of players style action!

I think i over indulged a bit on friday night though cos i was feeling pretty seedy on saturday. had to get up at 7am to go to a soccer match that'd been organised through the project, it was raining a little bit and i was thinking, please be cancelled,please be cancelled! needless to say it wasn't but it turned out to be a good day. damn they take soccer seriously here, and all the kids are so good! it was fun cheering like a yobbo, just neededsome cold beers to complete it!

today i've spent the day bumming around the beach, drinking beer that costs under $2 and dining on buffet goodness. oh what a hard life! the beaches are just breath taking, better that anything i've ever seen before. going to the beach on weekends and just completely chillin out makes all the crap you have to deal with and all the intense stuff at the projects a lot more bearable. thats one thing i've realised, you can't do anything to look after other people if you don't look after yourself.

 

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

hi ange- sitting here in dubai looking at your beehive photos! did a google on beehive and came up with this site. i'll post some of my photos when i get back to states (bam59.multiply.com) i'll be back in MBA nov 15th or so and will post some more on Beehive kids if u want update.Cheers!
Brian

  brian mossman Aug 29, 2007 8:27 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.