Existing Member?

Two girls, one cup of noodles

Lookie Lookie

THAILAND | Saturday, 23 March 2013 | Views [513] | Comments [3]

Karon Beach.  Kata Beach is on the other side of the rocks.

Karon Beach. Kata Beach is on the other side of the rocks.

A run down of our past few days in Thailand:

 
One day, we unexpectedly had a day of animals:  fish pedicure (so weird, probably the oddest thing I've ever experienced.  They pricked and tickled, but our feet felt so soft.), random run-in with a baby elephant (Jen and I were walking down an alley of shops, I was buying an electrical adapter, when all of a sudden, there's a baby elephant standing right behind us.  We fed him bananas and cucumbers and he sneezed on Jen!), and a parrot kept us company while having drinks after dinner.  The next two days have found us on the beach for two reasons.  First, it's why we came to Phuket.  Two, it's too damn hot to do anything else.  It's been a great way to acclimate to the heat and fight our jet lag.  The beaches are gorgeous.   We visited two different beaches, Karon Beach and Kata Beach.  The water is clear and the beaches are pretty clean.  While we've relaxed on the beach, we've had the pleasure of viewing the goods Thailand has to offer.  Individuals come right up to your chair, showing carved wine holders, sarongs, jewelry, purses, watches, roasted corn, drinks, headbands.  It's like Thailand's version of QVC!
 
I've also had an opportunity to reflect while relaxing, particularly on two items.  First, I love the diversity here.  Thailand hosts 10 million tourists annually, and that was evidence in our plane ride from Singapore to Phuket and on the beach.  I've heard so many different languages being spoken around me!  It's incredible!  Second, I'm amazed by the tenacity of the locals in Phuket. Phuket was badly damaged by the 2004 tsunami, but from the looks of the town, you  would hardly know it.  I think about how long the reconstruction of New Orleans has taken from Hurricane Katrina compared to the reconstruction of Phuket.  Huge difference, and I'm going to avoid discussing politics whatsoever.
 
Since Phuket is very touristy, we haven't had the opportunity to taste a variety of Thai food yet.  Lots of English, Italian, and American options for the tourists.  What Thai food I have had so far has been great (except for a dish called Fried Curry Jangle that consisted of curry, chicken, basil, green beans, cucumbers, and peas.  SPICY.  This dish I DID NOT like.  It was heavily seasoned with anise and I detest anise.  So, going to have to give curry another try later on.)  Jen and I had very tasty chicken fried rice tonight for dinner.  At least, we think it was tasty.  It was so damn spicy "our faces were melting off."  Both of us ate very quickly to get it over with.  It was painful.  You should note, we asked for medium spicy, after getting our tongues burned from the Fried Curry Jangle.  However, the fruit is incredible.  We bought a mango, pineapple, and quarter of a watermelon yesterday for $5.50.  $5.50!!!!  She even cut it for us since we don't have utensils with us.
 

Have I mentioned how hot it is here?

 

Comments

1

I'm quitting school and going over to be your man servant!!!

  Batman Mar 24, 2013 6:40 AM

2

Batman why must you tease me!?

  anealis314 Mar 25, 2013 12:56 AM

3

Sounds like you two are having so much fun!

  Scott Mar 25, 2013 11:14 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.