Existing Member?

scared traveler

Helvellyn June 2016

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 11 June 2016 | Views [346]

Crazy day as I woke up at 6:00 am in the morning to catch a train to Penrith to ride a bus to Glenridding due to me reading a bus schedule wrong. The ride on the bus was actually magnificent as it cruised along Ullswater lake in the different villages. This area is just so peaceful and has so much to offer as a great getaway for the weekend. The crazy days reminds me of backpacking in South America when I slept on a bus on the way to a different city instead of proper lodging. When I got to Glenridding, I found that my hostel was actually 1 mile into the trail to Helvellyn peak which was a tough hike with all of my gear. The receptionist at YHA hostel was so helpful and showed me a map of the hiking trail even though the information center informed me that some people had almost died hiking the trail yesterday. The trail reminded me of a half Mt. Baldy trail especially with the different type of terrains that was on the mountain. Finally got to the top and was proud of meself for using my selfie stick for the first time. Thank god it didn’t thunderstorm as the weather had predicted. I had just gotten there about 2 hours before the actual storm hit the top of the peak. The hiking trail was a very clear path halfway up and then had a gorgeous lake that you could swim in if you wanted to! Back at the hostel, I totally forgot to order dinner with the reception so I ended up drinking Cumberland beer and eating “crisps” (potato chips) for dinner. Fiona was such a nice person for offering me some pasta that she and Aki were making! I am so thankful for them and hope to repay the kindness one day. I also met a guy named Ed that was biking all around Europe who had been to multiple different countries in Europe. It was really cool to watch the difference between Scottish and English people jest about their rivalry and Brexit! Fiona mentioned that I should eat a haggis, nips, and tatties in Scotland. We proceeded to talk for the entire night about a bunch of different topics including crazy boyfriend stories of Aki, the life of teaching for Fiona (she is moving to the country side), and the full English breakfast that I must try from Ed. Also learned what a stag night and hen party were which I might join one if I see it! Aki presented an interesting argument on equality and getting out of poverty, Europe has a very different way of looking at the world where people deserve items. Coming from a place where I was taught you don’t deserve anything, you should always work for anything you want in lif, it’s a very interesting argument. When Fiona says the word “um” it sounds so sexy, I don’t know why maybe it is that Scottish accent but it is amazing what an accent does to people’s ears. Also learned what black metal was which was a bit depressing to me. The night was very enjoyable I really liked being able to sit around a table and talk to strangers for hours! 

 

Check out pictures for my travels at http://wuberlife.com/blog/

Tags: helvellyn, hiking

About andywu217


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.