Existing Member?

Ana and Emmas Journal Adventures around the world

Ko Lanta island

THAILAND | Sunday, 18 February 2007 | Views [1383]

taking off for krabi airport all goes well although as we begin to decent a few funny noises happen and the plane seems to be veering off in different directions. ( forgot to mention the pilot sounded pissed) ……I think I (ana) am getting worse at flying the more I do it.

Arrive at krabi airport and queue for at least 1 hr before we get through immigration, collect our bags and all goes smoothly. Worry we may have missed the last ferry to ko lanta (our chosen destination) until a very helpful taxi man assures us we will make it. On the way the taxi has to stop for a ferry crossing and we get out for a look around the stret stalls…the taxi driver buys me corn on the cob from a street vendor which is sooo tasty….the taxi driver is very friendly and even shares his nuts with emma…so to speak.

3 hours and 2 ferry journeys later we arrive in resort! Ferries are both an experience in the dark.

The room is ok although it is crammed full of mosquitos so we spend the next couploe of hours killing them an erecting our mozzy nets. Ana is mad and I am tired, goodnight.

Day 2 in Thailand

Wake up early to discover and explore our surroundings. Wander down to the beach and check out all the bars and restaurant menus all sat on right on the beach front. Not many young people about and a lot of old wrinkly bodies. At this stage we realise that there are not a lot of English about either. Ana fancies doing a cooking course that they hold at a restaurant sounds a lot of fun and interesting, get a menu and sit at a bar to soak in the beach atmosphere and decide whether ana wants to cook fish cakes on Tuesday or penang green curry on Wednesday.

Go for some brunch I and a pad thai ana has a cashew salad which is very tasty. Watch people floating on the water on some lilos and fancy a go at that ourselves so head for the town on a tuk tuk very dodgy but good fun. Go to a few shops and barter on prices and come a way with 2 lilos for 2,50 each which still is v expensive, think we need to work on our technique. blow our lilos up and head for water as it is sooooo hot now, we have a competition to who can blow there s up first, I win, then we realise that the valves don’t actually stay in the holes on either lilo. That’s the end of that idea.

Go swimming in sea and then pool, read our books and then get ready for evening. Have some cheap drink in our bar then head further down beach to others. Our evening meal was sat / lye on the floor on a long custion type mat and eating green curry rice and salad. V romantic!!! Note to self need to get washing done tomorrow. Ana s points out that the whole island is oover run with germans, good job the world cup isn’t on.

Towels towels towels I’m not genralising but the sun loungers are covered as soon as the sun rises and stay there for the day

Today we go for a late breakfast of an omelette and 2 boiled with toast. go to find a cash point, realise it is so hot today we must get in the water soon and wear lots of sun tan cream. We blow our lilos up( again) and manage to keep the air in to the beach. Both get in the water and lilos work a treat. Ana tries to catch some waves and we spend the next 2 hours floating around on the sea. Stop for a quick drinks break and head for the pool, where every sun lounger is taken accept nobody is to be seen, it is actually true about germans and there sun beds. Both do laps of the pool and tire ourselves out, read our books by pool then get showered and changes ready for sunset. Again an amazing sunset,while we sip our ice cold beers and eat our monkey nuts. Have some v nice evening food at a restaurant down the beach, ana a mixed kebab skewer and I some prawns in thai sauce. Both sun burnt and head back for an early night and alovera lotion.

Today is more of the same relaxing stuff floating on lilos, swimming in sea and reading books. Apart from ana adds comedy value……. We sit down to enjoy an ice cold beer and watch sun disappearing behind water, ana goes to the toilet and returns pissed off, I ask whats wrong and he was v annoyed as he had banged his head on the way out of the toilet. Claiming he wasn’t concentrating as he was fending mosiqtos off. we laugh. We continue sipping beers and ana announces he is going to the toilet again and will make sure he minds his head. Ana returns to from the toilet and without saying anything shows me the sleeve of his shirt. He had caught it on the door on the way out and ripped a hole in it. I could not believe something else had happen on a trip to the toilet!we laugh. Later that evening ana once again needs the toilet and in jest says what the hell can happen to me this time!!!!!...........he returnd from the toilet clutching his head to reveal a deep cut on the other side of his forehead and sticks his tongue out to show me he at bit his tongue at same time……… both didn’t laugh until later about that night,he had hit his head again in same place………………. now ana has a harry potter scar !!!!!

Today we both forget its valentines day and have our usual routine of lilo work etc I need to get out of the sun early as feel like may be burning and go for a thai head and face massage… it was amazing, the most relaxing thing ever. We follow our romantic theme to be in the sea at sunset and then eat huge bbq prawns with green curry dipping sauce was sooooooooo good and tasty. End night early with cocktail and bed.mmmmmm nice!!!

Start the day again by floating on sea and follow by laps of the pool. Go for a late lunch at a restaurant down the beach which had swinging chair seating, ana has pork ribs in red curry and this becomes the official tastiest meal of the week!!:) meet 2 nice girls from oxford and arrange to meet them later for a drink, there plans are to travel around thailand and Cambodia but have only enough money for another 2 weeks away, both left there jobs for a 4 week holiday. We have a drink together and watch fire thrower and a latern get heated up so it takes off like a hot air balloon. Move onto the beach deck chairs to bar next door and talk all night. Ana makes friends with a dog that follows us home and a Swedish guy joins our party to chat, then makes move on girl we are with and she tells him to get **** as he has just told us about his wife and kids in bed at home. End then night at 5.00am and have a late night swim in pool.

Next day we feel pretty tired and ill, sleep until 11.30 and miss the meeting and exchanging of details with the 2 girls, ana and I also owed them beer money ooopps very slow Day sleeping and lazing around. Start planning next island visit. Ana finishes the day off by eating a plate of chips spire ribs with rice and a whole pizza!!! Germans still hate us (no offense Sylvia ) and nobody smiles at this resort apart from the thais. Go to bed at 7.30.

Wake up feeling refreshed, plan and book the rest of our trip to Bubu Island for 5 night and koh nghai island for next couple. Discuss plans for sri lanka but are unsure of decision as both very over spent. Do our usual lengths of pool and eat salad for lunch. Ana has bad tummy and are in the room at the moment. He has also received a text about cricket training starting on Monday, announces he needs to get back for that J we go for a meal at our next resort where there is a art gallery and studio, the owner is v friendly and his favourite frase is ‘lovely jubely’ food is ok.

Check out of bunglalow 1 lanta island and check in to arty bungalows. All v pink and arty I love it! There is a tv in here and ana is glued to it watching FA cup lolol

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.