Existing Member?

Olivers Travels A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

North of the South

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 29 February 2008 | Views [969] | Comments [3]

20th February 08: - Wake early to make it to the airport, arriving with plenty of time to spare.  However time goes really quick & before you know it we are boarding.  Next thing we know we touch down in Christchurch, New Zealand @ about 14.30 & have to go through strict security to make sure we are not carrying any mud on our walking boots.  I am now very happy in the knowledge that there are no snakes here in New Zealan, I will sleep soundly in our free tent. 

We catch 2 buses to our hostel which is way out of Christchurch city centre.  It is ok, our room is a twin so we have bunk beds, hilar.  We  outour travelling route for down here int he North Island, now we just have to get transport!

 

21st February 08: -  Today we head into Christchurch to sort out car hire for here & the rest of our trip with STA Travel.  CAr hire was quite easy, we went to the well informed I site in the city & they sorted us out a car, a Yaris or similar for 25days @ 15 GBP a day.  This is a v good rate considering we have hit the high season.  Also picke up some info from DOC (Dept of conservation) which gives us details on their campsites.  Some are even free. 

Afetr this as you all may have guessed fromt he email we sorted out the rest of the trip.  Still do not have a homecaoming date, but will let you know as soon as we do.

 

22nd February 08: - Got up rather late @ 9.15 to what was a miserable day weather wise.  We caught the free shuttle bus into Christchurch & just had a little look around & a spot of lunch in the Cathedral Square.  Then @ 13.00 we went on a guided tour around the city @ $10.00 per person.  This was a bargain & would recommend it to anyone if you have limited time.  It was 2 hours in total & hugh our guide showed us many fascinating buildings & places around Christchurch.  After our tour ended we went back to the Museum to have a proper look around the exhibits.  Including some maori wood garvings that looked so intrigate & must have taken a craftsman a long time to complete.  Our last stop was @ the fudge shop, where we stocked up ont he sweet candy.

 

23rd February 08: - We leeave Christchurch @ about 15.00 in our lovely Toyota Vitz, which just about fits everything in it.  The drive from Christchurch to Arthurs pass takes just over 2.5 hrs.  We stop for a brief moment @ some amazing looking rock formations situated on the top of a hill.  Realising the rain is coming in we move on quickly to Klondyke pass just 8km before Arthurs Pass Village.  It is a basic free camp gorund, which includes one pit toilet & a shelter to cook under.  This is our 1st night in the tent, so we are a bit dubious if it is water tight, so we but the basher over the top just in case.

 

24th February 08: - Last night was not a good one, we did not get wet so that was a bonus, but the wind did not let up until 2.00.  So you can imagine we are both tired & damp when we wake.  We have our breakfast & then head to Arthurs Pass Village.  Here you can start many walks, varying from a few days to an hour.  As you may have guessed we opt for an hour walk called the Devils Punchbowl.  At the end there is rewarding view of a waterfall carved into the hillside.

We then drive onto Greymouth where we stock up on food for the next few days & make lunch by the car before we move on again.  Tonight we are staying in a proper campsite in Punakaiki, so we will be able to freshen up & feel human again.  Our campsite is walking distance to the beach & we spend sunset there, taking numerous pictures.

 

25th February 08: - Last night we went to bed nice & dry but @ 5.00am this morning I woke to find out that the tent is not waterproof, hilar.  We lasted until 7.15 & then got out of bed & packed everything away in the pouring rain. 

Our 1st sight of the day is Pancake Rocks & blow holes of whcih Punakaiki is famous for.  It was a bit miserable with the rain, however we beat the crowds & basically viewed the rock formations on our own, with the sea crashing around us.  Second stop of the day is @ the Seal colony @ Tauraga Bay.  These animals are so captivating & @ this time of year there are many pups, that get the cameras undivided attention.  

After a picnic lunch looking out to sea we head to our next basic campsite.  We drive through yet again stunning scenery, this time though the centre piece id the Buller Gorger.  Such diversity & beauty in this country, we are loving it. 

 

26th February 08: - On the road again early, this time to try and get away from the biting midgies.  We only drive a short distance when we come to Hopes Saddle look out @ 2057m high. This lookout gives you fantastic views of the southern Alps & is a great place for us to tuck into our breakfast of Weet Bix.  On our way to the coast we stock up on fruit from an honesty stall @ the side of the road in Matueka.  After this we stop @ hawkes Lookout where you could see the coast line in the distance.  Arriving from our pleasent drive we start assembling our tent @ Pohara a little coastal village next to the Abel Tasmin NP.

 

27th February 08: -  Our destination is to Totaranui camp within the Abel Tasmin NP, this is where we will be spending tonight.  Once you see the views you can see why it is so popular & @ its peak can fit 850 tents & campers into the park.  Once there we head north in our hiking boots & end up @ Anapai bay.  Here we stop for lunch & decide not to go any further.  The route we took was 1.5 hrs, not that much walking at all & I found it a bit hard going.  I need to get my act together before the Inca trail! 

 

28th February 08: - Basically a very long drive today & we did not stop for lunch, just kept on going.  Arrived @ our destination of Kaikoura @ 16.00 & found a lovely campsite that we will be spending the next 2 nights, for tom we will be going out on a whale watching cruise.

 

29th February 08: - Well hello everyone, today was started early @ 5.15 to be exact.  We went out on the 1st whale watching cruise of today & guess what we were in luck.  We saw two Sperm Whales surface in the early morning light, it was overwhelming.  I can not beleive that we were so close to these giants of the sea.  You could here the water spout out of their blow holes & then we watched as they rolled forward & submerged themselves into the safety of the ocean deep.  We were both able to get brilliant shots of the tail  coming out of the water just before they were swallowed up by the darkness that surrounds them on there 1600m jurney.  Perfect way to start the day.  

As we had such an early morning we have taken the afternoon out to update this & will be shortly heading back to the campsite to enjoy the hot tubs.  Take care everyone x.   

Tags: The Great Outdoors

Comments

1

New Zealand sounds wonderful, and there's lots more to see - wish we were there. At least your blog helps us to feel part of it. I bet you have some wonderful pictures. LOL Mum, Mick and Bertie xx xx xx

  Pat, Mick and Bertie Feb 29, 2008 8:40 PM

2

Hiya!
Hope you're having a great time, it certainly sounds like it! We have been to Worthing today for a little bit of shopping - ah it's a hard life!
We all miss you lots - but time's going so quickly. You'll be back here before you know it!
If you are coming back home on Joanna's half term, she can pick you up from the airport (Half term is Monday 26th May - Friday 30th May inclusive.)And obviously the weekends before and after :)
Love to both of you,
Take care,
Love and hugs, as always,
Mum, Dad, Nanna, Joanna, Scott and Jessica xxx

  Mum, Dad, Nanna, Joanna, Scott and Jessica Mar 2, 2008 7:12 AM

3

Hi to you both,
So glad you are still having a great time, even with leaking tents! Keep the photos coming they are superb, the shot of you on the beach in the East Coast of Oz looks like paradise to me.
Best wishes,
Nev & co

  Paul Mar 24, 2008 5:46 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.