Existing Member?

Olivers Travels A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Tin Can Bay - Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 29 February 2008 | Views [910] | Comments [1]

7th February 08: - Today we drove to Tin Can Bay, arriving @ about .  Our campsite is lovely & quiet with what looked like a fab pool.  However we were unable to sample this as a massive storm blew in.  You should have seen the different colours in the sky.  I don't think I have seen a sky look so menacing.
 
8th Febraury 08: - We woke early & headed down to Normans Point to watch & feed two dolphins named Patch & Mystique.  We did not  ave to wait long 7.45am the dolphins turned up.  It was simply stunning, that this marine mammal knows instinctively when he is going to be fed.  He also seems to give you a spray of water as if to say thank-you, lovely fish spray! 
After our incredible morning it was now time to mve on, to visit our fellow traveller Jenni, who we met in India.  A short drive to Bribie Island where we will be staying the next 4 nights.  Could not have wished for a warmer welcome & we had such a fab time exchanging travel tales.  Had a lovel Fish & Chip dinner, whilst watching the sun go down over the glass mountains. 
 
9th February 08: - Wake up @ 8.00, Jenni cooked us bacon & egg, & we went outside on the patio to eat in the coolness of the morning.  By 9.30 we were all ready & raring to go.  Today Jenni is our tour guide & a fantastic one @ that.  Our 1st stop was to catch a citycat into the centre of Brisbane, this gave us some brilliant views of the city.  After our ride we walked along the riverside & had a scrummy ice cream.  Next stop was the Art Gallery where we went to see the work & life of Andy Wahol.  A totally fascinating exhibition .  His photographs & prints were captivating.  Our last stop of the day was @ a pub to enjoy a nice cool beer.
 
10th Febraury 08: - Our 1st stop today is Montville, a lovely arts & crafts village.  Sitting @ a cafe we enjoy a lovely coffe & feed are faces with fudge.  The flavours were great & it gave us a much needed sugar boast.  We stop off @ a photography shop where Jenni & Drew ask the owner his advice & we marvel @ the high quality pictures.
Our next stop is Kondelia falls, the path back to the car is very muddy due to all of the rain Qeensland has been having lately.  Last stop is Mooloolaba where we treat ourselves to a well deserved beer.  We sit back & chill for a few minutes just taking in the the live music & the relaxing atmosphere.
 
11th February 08: -  Today we did not do too much.  Jenni went off to work & we caught up on our writing.  (not that I have updated the blog for a while, sorry).
 
12th February 08: -We say goodbye to Jenni & thank her for such a FANTASTIC weekend & we must admit it was lovely not to have to think about what we were going to do next.  Leaving @ about 9.00 & head down the gold coast that looks miserable, due to the rain clouds.  We stop off @ Surfers Paradise where not much surfing is happening.  We stop for the night @ a small place called Moonree beach.  Pleasent place but we only have dinner & then head off to bed.
 
13th February 08: - Leaving Moonree beach just outside coffs harbour we have a couple of hours to our next stop which is Port MacQuarie.  We arrive @ Port Macquarie in time for lunch & then head upto the Koala Hospital.  Although we are not seeing these animals in the wild we both like the idea that our donation will all go towards the upkeep of this well needed facility.  First sight of these creatures & all I want to do is give them a great big hug, they are so adorable.  Four orphaned joeys are in one enclosure & they look so speedy compared to the older Koalas.  However all are very cute & we had a pleasent afternoon just watching them eat, sleep & playing hide & seek from us (see photo).
 
14th February 08: - Woke up by the side of a peaceful lake this morning, this was free as we just pulled up by the side of a very quiet road, both of us had a fab nights sleep. 
Today thankfully & sadly is our long last drive.  Looking forward as it is a place many people we know have recommended.  Our route took us through Hunter Valley (wine region).  We did not stop 10 because we are getting low on funds & 2) because one of us has to drive, so it would not be fair.  Arrived @ Katoomba @ 16.30, not enough time to see the sights, but we have a well neede shower & start cooking our bangers & mash.  Proper camping fodd & seeing as the temperature is only 18 degrees it went down a treat.

 

15th February 08: - Katoomba Scenic world is where we headed to today, & purchased an enclusive pass.  This pass inculded the following: Railway - a very short train down to the rainforest floor below.  Its not that bad & is made all the better as the parrots fly around while you wait.  Once at the bottom we take the long walk option & take a walk under the tall canopy.  It is very chilled & Drew finds time to take some fantastic pictures from the light shining through.  To get back up we take the cable car back up & get some fab views of the mist clearing over the blue mountains. After lunch we head out to Echo point where we view the 3 sisters (there used to be 7), an awesome view.  Now our last view is from the Skyway, a cable care that has a clear bottom looking to the floor about 800m below.  Quite an experience & I think we were both glad it only lasted a few mins.

 

16th February 08: - Travelled down from Katoomba today & drove along the Bells of Line road to our destination of Windsor.  Leaving our campsite behind we also leave Agro, a very friendly caged bird who said Hello everytime we walked over to him. 

Anyway our journey takes in soem fantastic views of the Blue Mountains for the last time.  Afternoon is spent looking around the Mt Thomah Botanical Gardens, which is beuatifull & is so well layed out. The final part of the drive takes us o Avima Cravan Park just outside Windsor 35km out of Sydney.

 

17th February 08: - We travelled from Avima to Manly beach this morning.  A couple that we met last night suggested that we have lunch @ a Fish & Chip place called Fishmongers.  The Fish & Chips were amazing & way too much for us both, it was heartbreaking to leave so many chips.  Manly is a lovely little town & is a lot more relaxed than Bondi Beach. 

Our last night in the camper & we spend it @ Lane Cove NP.  We do not have time to explore just pack up & clean the camper for the last time.  

 

18th February 08: - Woke up @ 6.00 to pack the last few bits & then drove through Sydney city to the otherside to drop off the Wicked van.  It took just over an hour to complete the journey & it was not as bad as we thought it was going to be.  We get a taxi to the backpacker areain Kings Cross area of Sydney (yes it is just like home).  However we find a budget lodge in the quiet part of town & there we stay for an hour before we head out & soak up the afternoon sun.

 

19th February 08: - Well today was our last full day in Oz & both of us feel sad & excited to be moving on.  Sad because there is so much more to explore here.  We have only touched the East & South coast & there is plenty we missed.  The west & North coast will have to wait until our next trip over. 

Today we walked over the Harbour bridge & got some fantastic views of the Harbour & the Opera House. 

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

You timed this episode just right as I caught up with the two scrapbooks yesterday! Great that everything worked out well with no bites from those nasty snakes and spiders! LOL Mum, Mick and Bertie. P.S. Can't wait for the photos.

  Pat, Mick and Bertie Feb 29, 2008 8:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.