Existing Member?

The Traveling A team We begin our journey through New Zealand's South Island for 2 weeks, then onto the North. From there our adventure takes us across the Pacific Ocean to South America for 11 amazing weeks!

Bolivia, Lake Titicaca & Isla Del Sol

BOLIVIA | Friday, 27 March 2009 | Views [819]

Those Reed boats

Those Reed boats

We arrived in Copacabana Bolivia, after a 1 Boliviano arrival Tax. A cute small town, however, we were focused on Isla del Sol ( the Island of the Sun) and headed straight out on a boat. No ATMS anywhere really restricted our funds. We were greated witha friendly 5 Bolivano arrival Tax and headed up to breath taking Incan steps to the nearest hostal. Keep in mind Lake Titicaca's elevation is at 3800 metres above sea level, so every step counts! We relaxed at our waterless hostel at meet some lovely Australians.

We awoke and realised we dont have enough money to stay another night and need to get to La PAz for ATMs. We headed on a boat to the northern ruins where the Incan story begins.

It was here at the sacred rock that Virococha, the white bearded creator god appeared. Lake Titicaca itself is a very sacred lake to the indigenous cultures of the Andes. It is said to be the naval shakra of the earth. After paying nearly double than from the mainland, we arrived for a spanish guided tour to a crapy museum and finally the primitive Incan ruins of the Sun. It was then a good 2.5 hour treck back. Only to hit by another tax! for crossing from the north to the south via the path!we were furious..constant gringo tax..you feel raped sometimes, and as an introduction to Bolivia it seemed a bit disheartening. We are totally for supporting the comunities, but hate tax being sprung on you with no warning for the same place!


All of us were feeling a little annoyed, and the Hostal tried to jack the price up on our comrads, so we all left feeling a little hostle. Our friends were very humble and gave us a parting gift of some extra Boliviano's to get to La Paz. Off to the big Smoke.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.