Existing Member?

The Way The Nori Rolls

The ROK

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 9 February 2010 | Views [1157] | Comments [2]

Anapji Pond, Gyeongju

Anapji Pond, Gyeongju

The Republic Of Korea (South Korea. Affectionately referred to as The ROK) has had a long and often tumultuous history ravaged by war, poverty, colonisation and various other forms of repressive rule. But Korea has also had one of the most (if not the most) spectacular spurts of economic growth of the late 20th century. Seemingly overnight, Korea transformed itself into one of the most industrialised and technologically advanced democracies in the world today.
 
Despite this, Korea is a country that is largely overlooked on the average tourist trail in Asia. In reality, all that most people are likely to see of Korea is the inside of the transit lounge at Incheon Airport or perhaps the view from above when flying between Beijing and Tokyo. Admittedly, Korea is a country I never knew very much about, let alone thought about travelling to… That was, until 2007 when I decided (on somewhat of a whim) to move there for a year to teach English. I fell in love with Korea in an instant and spent the following year and a half exploring and thoroughly enjoying much of what it has on offer.
 
Korea is a country of contrasts. Exclusive nightclubs, designer boutiques and department stores dot city streets alongside traditional herbal medicine clinics, restaurants and teahouses. Its stunning mountainous landscape is dusted with temples, palaces and relics of the Silla Kingdom, while its cities teem with impressive skyscrapers, international coffee chains and neon signage (particularly the latter - upon leaving Korea last year, I discovered that I’d developed a bit of an addiction to neon lights. It took me weeks to feel at ease in a street lit with only regular street lamps again). Pet dogs are taken for claw-manicures and fur-dyes, convenience stores seem to almost outnumber people, eight-year-olds have cell phones, grown men wear Mickey Mouse-emblazoned outfits, kindergarten girls and boys get their hair permed … It’s an often weird, but wonderful place that I have grown very fond of over the last few years, and well worth visiting on your next Eastern Asian adventure.

Tags: south korea

Comments

1

Great post! I lived and taught in Korea for a year as well and you describe the contrasts so perfectly. What part were you in?

  Gilbert Feb 19, 2010 2:59 AM

2

Thanks for your comment!
I was in the Suwon area. You?

  amy_palfreyman Feb 19, 2010 8:27 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.