Existing Member?

The Way The Nori Rolls

The Kagaya Experience

JAPAN | Tuesday, 16 February 2010 | Views [2172] | Comments [4]

The inconspicuous entrance to the weirdest restaurant on earth...

The inconspicuous entrance to the weirdest restaurant on earth...

My first day on assignment in Tokyo presented me with the most bizarre dining experience of my life.  Actually, it's up there with most bizarre experiences of my life in general.

After meeting Simon Richmond earlier today and checking out some sights and eateries around Shinjuku, we met up with Simon's friend Jean (a Rough Guide contributor and Tokyo resident) for dinner in the Shinbashi area of Tokyo.  Walking through the rainy side streets of this brightly lit part of town, we entered a tiny restaurant - it all seemed normal enough.  Yet despite the fact that Tokyo is often known for it's oddities, not in my wildest dreams could I have ever imagined what was in store for us behind that inconspicuous little door. This is where normality ended and hilarity ensued.

Once we were seated at our table, the owner of the restaurant, Mr. Kagaya, used a remote-controlled Anpanman doll to deliver our warm refresher towels.  Upon ordering drinks, we were required to select the style in which we would like them delivered; Japanese, American, Chinese, English or Brazilian.  We opted for 'English style', while the tables around us went for Brazilian and French.  The 'Brazilian style' drinks were delivered by Mr. Kagaya dressed up as what appeared to be some kind of crustacean.  'French style' involved Mr. Kagaya creating on-the-spot portrait sketches of table members, while our 'English style' saw him use a Teddy Bear to carry the tray of novelty beer glasses to our table - the novelty being that one glass made a belching sound every time it was moved, and the other vibrated at such a rate when picked up that it was nearly impossible to drink from it without spraying beer around the room.

The restaurant offered three menu choices that, not surprisingly at this point, were hilarious and gave no indication of what food was involved with each choice. We ordered the "Hey master, you know what today I'm feeling free. Get me something 'wow' me, 'bang' me. You know what I'm talking about!" dinner set... and of course, the order had to be sung rather than spoken.  Between fits of laughter, we ate a delicious meal of chicken, fish and vegetable dishes. 

By the end of the meal, we'd long relinquished any sense of normal restaurant procedure, so when our bill was delivered in the cleavage of a Barbie doll and Mr. Kagaya donned a frog suit to bid us melodic farewell, I really shouldn't have been surprised... but I was.  

Absolutely check this place out if you're in Tokyo! Reservation details and directions can be found here.

Photos

Comments

1

This places sounds amazing, I will definitely have to put it on the itinerary next time I get to Tokyo! Loving the blog Amy, can't wait to read the next installment

  Sophie Feb 18, 2010 10:44 AM

2

Thanks Sophie,
Kagaya certainly is a memorable experience!
Glad you're enjoying the blog - thanks for reading and keep the comments coming!
Amy

  amy_palfreyman Feb 19, 2010 8:26 PM

3

This place sounds unreal. Wish I'd gone somewhere like that when I was in Japan...next time!

  Rachael Feb 19, 2010 11:02 PM

4

That sounds awesome!!

  Elissa James Mar 3, 2010 5:35 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.