Existing Member?

RN volunteer trip to Uganda

African Woman

UGANDA | Saturday, 15 October 2016 | Views [263]

Uganda has taught me so much in such a short amount of time and has healed me in some ways. I do not feel the need to be on guard here. The people I live with and the children are so loving and genuine that all I feel is peace. Back in the states I do struggle with being sad or angry a lot. Here I have felt nothing but joy, peace and love. God has blessed this country with so many people who have the most beautiful hearts; they are rich in kindness and love. As I sat amongst the sweet potato mounds with three of the aunties, after harvesting some veins to plant and create more potatoes, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that I was exactly where I belonged; where God has always wanted me to be. The aunties confirmed this feeling when they let me know they felt I was an African woman because I am not afraid to work hard. It was one of the best compliments I have gotten. I wish I could do so much more for them and this place. I spent the rest of my time in that field letting the natural beauty on Uganda take my breath away. I love the contrast of the red clay and bright green foliage. I love that my feet and ankles are always covered in red dust. I love watching villagers carrying water buckets on their heads from the well to their homes. I love the village children reaching out to grab my hand or hug me. I love the way I can have a relaxed conversation with the people here and not be interrupted by a cell phone constantly being in their hands while they read text messages. I love that time is on island time, no one moves fast, everyone takes their time and they are famous for always being late. It is as if the people here know how to cherish the moment, and do not wish to rush their lives. I have come to love washing my clothing in buckets by hand, it has become a time to relax and think about how grateful I am for such an incredible life. I am in love with Uganda.

 

I later helped one of the uncles’ here build a chicken coup, where again I was told I was like an African woman. How many times do you think I will need to hear that in order to be convinced to give up the luxuries of America and make a life here? There is a woman from Tennessee named Katie who did just that. At the age of 19 in 2007 she followed her heart and moved right here to Buziicka. She created a NGO that feeds around 3000 of the villagers and sends hundreds of children to school. She also adopted 14 little girls and has lived the most fulfilled life here helping those who have so much love to give but need so much help. She is a hero; I am humbled by her and pray that I can make some kind of difference the way she did. During the walk to and from the Canaan farm, I stare longingly at her compound and try to work up the courage to waltz in and meet her so that I may discover how she was able to accomplish such a daunting task. She had months to accomplish it though, I regrettably only have one month.

 

Earlier in the day while strolling through the villages with two of our little boys and Leah the realization of the little time I have left hit me hard. I have been here for two weeks, I honestly thought it had only been one; I only have two more weeks to go. I am not ready for this experience to be over, there is still so much I am dreaming about doing for this village and the Canaan Center. To start, Morgan, Leah and I are planning on buying as much medicine as we can and putting together some “food baskets”, then going into the village with Pastor Isaac to give to those who need these things the most. I would like to be able to sponsor some children so that they may attend school. I just do not know how I will be able to chose which child to bless with an education; they all deserve the chance of an education and a better life.

 

Cherish every moment

 

Gypsy RN

About ameuganda


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.