Existing Member?

RN volunteer trip to Uganda

For F*@k sake! Stay in the boat!

UGANDA | Friday, 14 October 2016 | Views [301] | Comments [1]

When Moses was a baby he was placed in a basket and floated down the Nile River; Leah, Morgan and I decided to take a little walk in baby Moses’ shoes the past two days. Yesterday we made a trek on the dusty red dirt roads from Buziicka to Bujugali falls, just outside Jinja. Due to a new damn these must see falls were non-existent, instead we took a walk through the village; three little girls joined us, holding our hands on the walk. Of course none of them had shoes, and one of the little girls had a badly swollen foot; I tried to examine it for jiggers (a parasite) but saw no trace of them. I wish I had a mobile medical supplies box so that I could provide thorough examinations and some treatments whenever I go into these small villages.

 

The next part of our day involved a sunset riverboat cruise on the Nile River. The beauty is breath taking, the bright green foliage against the burnt red colored clay. That section of the Nile was completely flat and calm with people doing their wash on the shore, and children splashing in the cool water. There were no signs of crocodiles; there were however, some glimpses of monkeys swinging in the trees. This was our introduction to the Nile, in preparation for what was to come the next day.

 

Today, the three of us went white water rafting through class 4 and 5 rapids on the Nile River! It was utterly terrifying and exhilarating as the rapids rose higher than the boats and we were thrown about somehow managing to keep the boat right side up and all bodies inside… most of the time. At one point as the raft was threatening to give into the rapids and send us flying the guide yelled “for f*#k sake, stay in the boat!” This statement was followed with “S*#t! We lost the 2 Chinese!” Everyone turned out okay, many laughs were had by all and we spent time between rapids swimming in the Nile. It was an incredible experience to spend the day on the Nile River, but I couldn’t wait to return home to our kids.

 

As we dismounted our bodas at the center tonight we were met with the kids racing towards us with arms spread seeking their hugs. My heart over flowed with love for these children. Questions were thrown at us, asking where we were, arms circled around us tightly while the children proclaimed how much they missed us. We made our rounds, tucking everyone in and reminding them they are loved and we will never forget them. I don’t know how I am going to be able to leave this place at the end of the month. There is so much love and joy here.

 

I am worried about one of our boys, James, he is feeling very sick but has had negative tests for both malaria and typhoid so the doctor at our little clinic is unsure of what is making him present with the symptoms of malaria. He has been placed on some antibiotics. Please keep him in your prayers!

 

Life is a bowl of ice cream, dig in!

 

Gypsy RN

Comments

1

Gee, Amy, that boat story is pretty funny but also pretty scary. Next time you go on an expedition like that, please remind your guide that we all have our limits -- even our guardian angels!

  Dad Oct 15, 2016 1:24 AM

About ameuganda


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.