Existing Member?

:Tropical Exploration: Leaving for the Dominican Republic in a few days! Will arrive at an all inclusive resort to stay and hang out with my mom and her boyfriend at his vacation house. Stay for a few weeks then off to travel alone getting into many eco adventures then settling in at a few volunteer places to immerse myself in the culture and help the local people. I hope to learn ALOT of spanish while there and break away from my materialistic roots. Not to mention enjoy the amazing sunshine, spend a ton of time in the water scuba diving/snorkling/swimming, get to know the culture and meet people, learn about the carribean way of life, and help the surverly improvished society, teaching and mentoring.

Tourism Central

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Friday, 13 April 2007 | Views [550] | Comments [1]

Hello and Bienos Dias! It's night here just got done eating *and drinking( on the beach eating pineapple, banana curry pizza that i vow to make frequently when i return home. So i've been in Carbarete for 5 days and its a great little tourist town that Amie and I have grown an affinity too. Could probably get a job here serving on the beach...volunteering or teaching at the Dream Project that we are involved in at the moment. Finished our second day helping out in their brand new preschool. Yesterday was very challenaging for me, not speaking much spanish and listening and trying to communicate was MUCHO Defacil...*very hard(. but today i let go of tryig communicate in the way i'm used to and just set out to enjoy myself and be good for the kids...and i think i succedded. Got to contribute with some of my stron expertise in organization and caligraphy skills. Anyway, school was fun and then we ventured out of one street beach town *finally( and went a few miles down the road to the surf spot. With is amazingly beautiful, much having to do with the lack of people...so chill. So we start surfing saturday, with our first leccion. Watch a surf competition that day then we are renting a board for the remainder two weeks and hopefully we will go most every day.

We volunteet mon thur thursday 8 til 1 around, and just help around the class room putting in our two  senses when we can. It so weird to work with kids that have never used scissors or crayons before! Todays there was this non profit program called LISTA that few in from texas to do an documentary and help raise funds. ITs a really awesome program, helping kids that don't have much of a chance here where proverty is common and most families don't have two parents, and most mothers dropped out of school early *girls are not aloud to attend school if they become pregant, just adding to the mass numbers of uneducated people here( which can be seen in many ways by the number of people chilling outside their houses with there many kids all day, and by the mass amound of garbage everywhere!  It makes tropical paradise drop of few points off the way cool meter, but hey, it's still Great!

so our apartment is off the stip in surrounded by dominicans in a family neighbord. We have a 3 story roof which has great sunrises and starry nights, not to mention the stealth look out of much of the neighbor. Most people send there nights, and many days out on their poaches hanging out, playing domininos, listening to music REALLY loud and chit chatting outside local colmados *small local convient stores(...Its fun to see everyone, most people great with a huge smile and a spirited Hola or what not.

so, might move out of our humble 2 bedroom apartment. Complete with kitched for 200 for three weeks for us to split. Might manage a few place for the rest of the month at a much nicer place with airconditioning and probably no ants or mice*...mucho ants. But i am thankful warm water and a solid bed, now i am very spoiled with my own room now and balcony...its sweet.

Alright so planning some day trips. Cascading, rapelling and jumping around waterfalls and maybe a mountain bike excursion are in the works.

But we are very happy and me and Amie are bonding closer by the second. We are both learning a lot of the same lessons and are much of an asset to each other...especially her spanish for me, even though it helps we to learn very slow..b/c i don't have to try!

So i hope your are all well. I miss you and would love to hear from you via comments, my space or email! Much Dominican love from your girl down south. Will be in Carbarete for the next 2 weeks...at least!

Love, Peace and jOy

Amalea

Tags: Friends

Comments

1

Hi,
SO glad you are doing well, sounds like you are having a wonderful trip...
What an experience for you, not only helping but learning as well.
I don't know where you are but will look on the map this weekend.
I will write more later have to go back to work.
I got Delia a job, working for one of the owner's here
Well I got her the interview, John the owner was very impressed. Not sure when she starts, she comes back sometime today for one more interview.
Well Amy, so glad you are doing well, and enjoying your time there in DR....
Can't wait till I hear from you again. I love this Journal.. You are a great writer and make the Journal fun. I copied the other two Jounals and will be keeping them.
Steve and I have enjoyed reading them. On Easter we took them to his mothers and read them to her.
I am so glad you and Amie are doing great!
Love you so,
Mom

  pflynn Apr 14, 2007 12:15 AM

About amelie918


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.