Existing Member?

:Tropical Exploration: Leaving for the Dominican Republic in a few days! Will arrive at an all inclusive resort to stay and hang out with my mom and her boyfriend at his vacation house. Stay for a few weeks then off to travel alone getting into many eco adventures then settling in at a few volunteer places to immerse myself in the culture and help the local people. I hope to learn ALOT of spanish while there and break away from my materialistic roots. Not to mention enjoy the amazing sunshine, spend a ton of time in the water scuba diving/snorkling/swimming, get to know the culture and meet people, learn about the carribean way of life, and help the surverly improvished society, teaching and mentoring.

Santiago ¨Breabasket of the DR¨

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Friday, 6 April 2007 | Views [473]

So i arrived in Santiago, the countries second largest city yesterday with my new friend Amie (yes i know, how coincidental). So we escapes from our ¨¨Rancho Wendy¨experience that consisted of a shack with little light (so you couldn´t up close and personal see all the dirt and various living creatures that coinhabited the room) a bathroom that doabled as a shower and as much internet as one can handle(but that unfortunately was about it for entertainment, though we did get to see an awesome waterfall one day while beng attached by mosquitos;) . Very disorganized, no one really knowing whats going on >(expect for the two people that i meant that were working there, Amie and bobby) who let me know the low down of the not surprising details of the little camp that i was hoping would be so much more...not really expecting all that much, but still ending spending like 50 bucks for two nights...

Any way the past few days have been great. Explored Santiago after a short break from our travels, and all day today. Its a beautiful city surrounded by mountains (hot and humid) that we aren´t really get a full sense of b-c this is semanta santa week, holy week. So everyone goes to the beach and it´s crazy busy and expansive, that´s why i chose to go to the mountains, even though it totally messed up my plans to do a big circle around the country. But now its´worked out VERY well and i´ve met a partner who speaks WAY more spanish then me and makes everything much more easy! So she´s going to be around until the end of april, and then it´s back on my own again.

So, another day or two in the mountains, then south to the capital to hang out with some kids that she meant that have extra space in there house. They live very close to the Zona Colonial which is the historic part of the city where the 1st church, road, school... of the new world settlement. Spend easter sunday in the 1st new world settlement, an interesting experience, i´m sure. So that should be cool, then back to the mountains to probably (hopefully, depending on the word) hike the largest peak in the carribean (10,000 ft) and then maybe some white water rafting and some horse backing trips to various waterfalls.

So that is the plan as of now. THen to puerto plata to do a volunteer thing for a few weeks and live near the beach!man is it hot, the water is a much welcomed haven.

ok, so doing well.  wish i could write a little more detail, but just trying to let you guys know i´m safe and sound and now am feeling good with a travel partner!

Hope you all are well

love

amalea

Tags: Sightseeing

About amelie918


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.