Existing Member?

:Tropical Exploration: Leaving for the Dominican Republic in a few days! Will arrive at an all inclusive resort to stay and hang out with my mom and her boyfriend at his vacation house. Stay for a few weeks then off to travel alone getting into many eco adventures then settling in at a few volunteer places to immerse myself in the culture and help the local people. I hope to learn ALOT of spanish while there and break away from my materialistic roots. Not to mention enjoy the amazing sunshine, spend a ton of time in the water scuba diving/snorkling/swimming, get to know the culture and meet people, learn about the carribean way of life, and help the surverly improvished society, teaching and mentoring.

I heart> Carbaret

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Sunday, 15 April 2007 | Views [691] | Comments [1]

A brief synopsis of Carbarete the wind surfing capital of the world...and now kite surfing (which looks so fun but is mucho caro<expensive>) as well.

One long main road runs through the town, which is the main hwy on the north coast. The streets are mostly always congested, especially with mas motocochos (which are essentially motorcycle taxis, which you get for about 50 cents to a dollar to ride and will take you a few miles here and there). So my affinity for motorcycles has grown and I usually ride at least two a day...i need to find someone to let me drive one!

anyhow, beach on the one side with a range of decently priced to very nice expansive restaurants and tourist shops. So much food here smaking you in the face, not to mentions delicious fresh fruit drinks, with banana is especially delicious...mucho thick and creamy! heehhe

Yesterday was the first time we really got off the strip, even though we do leave everyday b/c out house is in the Calle de la leon...a dominican neighborhood that got completely flooded the first day we were here. Think dirt roads with lots of garbage around, then flooded up to our knees in some points. Pretty gross, but the main walk we took through it was a night so we couldn't really see who bad it was.

Encuentro is the local surf beach and is much more tanquil and laid back. no vendors apporching you trying to see you stuff. Just a hand full of surfer kids, most speaking some english to my advantage. Although i learn the most when i am forced to search my little head for the correct words. My vocabulary is expanding slowly but surely, but its hard having Amie around all the time b/c she is on a much higher level then me and there fore does all the talking and i can't keep up or contribute much. But today we had our first surf leccion and me and my instructor spoke much espaniol and i getting the hang of it little by little. If i decide to set up camp in this city for the remainer of my trip to help more with the dream project (look it up on the internet, its so inspirational!)

They just finished building the new preschool/community center in the neighborhood in which we live. Which is always alive with many families, kids running and playing, various houses blaring music for the whole street to enjoy. Dancing, playing domininos, our simply hanging out at the local comidas. I love walking down our street. Usually met with many smiles and holas, and at night its like a huge party. Its saturday and me and Amie are going to go out for our first night on the town here. I haven't been to a dico techa since i've been here, through many invitations from various dominican chicos that want to be my nuevo (boyfriend). There are so straight forward here, and before they know your name they want to know if you have a boyfriend. muy comimco (very funny) i try to talk to the boys and ask why they would like to be my boyfriend when they don't know me and for they know i could be crazy...i'm not quite sure if anyone has throughly understood exactly what i meant, from lack of words on my part. But its usually a funny conversation either way, usually always going back to kissing and being my boyfriend....it's a hoot!

so the Dream project, is great. 15 three and four year olds from 8am to 12 mon through thursday. The inaugeration was yesterday, the new school has been in session for 2 weeks. So they are still working out the kinks but its so great to get to participate from the beginning. The community center is exactly what i have been dreaming about getting into for a while now. Its a really great opprotunity for this community that has no organized sports, most people don't go to school past 5th grade, 80 percent live in single family homes and basically they just drink, hang out and have sex...as i hear it. The little girls here are taught to be sex symbols from the very beginning and i heard a disturbing statistic that 85% of girls dabble in prostitution for money. Which makes sense once you see how these girls dress...

So we are really excited to get involved in such a life changing program and its pretty much exactly what i wanted. We heard about the program by chance through a random family that happened to be eating at our hotel in Santiago. They were really solid, professors from Uof Vermont living and teaching public health and organizing games and physically activity to educate about AIDS, which is a major epidimic here.

Not sure about any of the details, but this place is steaming hot, and then you go swimming in the warm ocean and its perfecto! I love swimming here, i need to swim more. But you have to watch out for the sea urchins here, black small sharp balls that apparently don't go so well when you step upon them.
So...that is my life here as of now. Nice little cheap apartment, that is surverly infested with ants (and various other things) but we have a kitchen and that is the golden lining..not to mention the place kindof reminds me of melrose place...huge palm trees, a jacuzzi in the middle of the courtyard (granted that doesn't work anymore) and various little nooks and crannies to get lost in.

Alright, thanks for taking interest and i hope all is well.

Still trying to live more connected and not worry about yesterday tomorrow, but be grounded in the now. Its hard b/c my mind wanders, ineed to train it better!

much love and peaceful vibes from sunny humid beautiful Domincana.

Love

Amalea

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

just checking in....trip sounds great. the apt. sounds cool minus the bugs. i hear urchins are an afrodiasiac(hahaha i cant spell)have fun repelling...i look fwd to reading about it. luv, laurinda

  laurinda Apr 17, 2007 9:02 AM

About amelie918


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.