Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

Celebrations

PERU | Thursday, 17 December 2009 | Views [439]

2 guys from the jungle and my roommate Katie!

2 guys from the jungle and my roommate Katie!

Tis the season to be jolly, fa, la, la, la, la, . . .   Well, it is the season to be jolly and we have enjoyed some fun times here at Peru Mission as we celebrate the advent season.  First, we had a PM Christmas Party.  The Smiths and Bakers and I hosted the Fellows to an evening of good food, good company and good fun.  We had pizza, and some homemade guacamole and salsa and several yummy deserts.  Everyone brought a gift of no more than 30 soles (around $10) and we played White Elephant where you can either open your gift or take someone else’s.  It was great fun.  My turn came and I decided to steal a gift.  I had passed out all of the gifts and one was so soft. . . I thought maybe it was a stuffed animal—WRONG!  It was 22 rolls of toilet paper!!  This is a very practical gift here and actually a very sought after gift.  It was stolen from me and I never got it back.  We had a great time opening presents and playing.  Afterwards we sang Christmas hymns and carols and enjoyed another game where we split into groups and did lightening rounds and had to come up with Christmas songs within 5 seconds.  Hearing all the different songs and who knew them and who didn’t was great fun! We ended our night in prayer for the mission and its churches and our Fellows who would be traveling home for Christmas.

 

Two days later, we said goodbye to 2 of our fellows—Chip and Katie are going home and not coming back.  It was very sad!  I have enjoyed getting to know them both, but Katie has lived with me and I will miss her dearly!  All of our community will miss them both.  We had their despedida (going away party) in my apartment.  It was a HUGE success!  We had tons of Peruvians over and enjoyed good food, shared stories about Chip and Katie, they spoke, we prayed for them, offered thanks for them and even had a special guest appearance.  Our favorite band, Muyupampa, came and played at my home.  I truly enjoy this Peruvian band that is composed of mostly members from one of our churches.  They are a talented group of musicians and it is always fun to sing and dance with them.  Katie is an excellent dancer and had learned a traditional dance for a wedding recently so she performed with 2 of our Peruvian brethren—Raol and Milton.  Chip and Katie were a valued part of Peru Mission and made very valuable contributions while here.  We will miss them dearly. 

 

Check out the pictures of both events in the photo album section.  It has been good to have the community of Peru Mission and the Peruvians around during this special season.  It is a reminder of why I am here and whom I am working for.  I hope that you too are able to stop and remember the real reason we celebrate this Advent season in great anticipation of Christmas Day.

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.