Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

Amazing Race Comes to Trujillo

PERU | Tuesday, 28 July 2009 | Views [234]

Our final night together

Our final night together

It was IPC's last day.  We had plans to go to the woodshop, then Wichanzao and Clementina and then before the airport, finally, one last lunch with Peruvian friends.  And as a surprise, I had ordered 2 cuy frito (fried guinea pig) for them to try and their favorite desert -- alfajores!  But it all changed on a dime.  This is when it began to look like an episode from the TV show Amazing Race.  

We were at the hotel about to leave.  I decided to get online and dobule check the flights to make sure they were on-time and to my surprise, there was no afternoon flight from Trujillo to Lima!  The only flight out of Trujillo was 10:15 pm and that was not enough time for them to make the flight from Lima to Atlanta.  So, long story short, we figure out that the Trujillo flight was booked for the wrong day.  Allen Smith and I begin tag teaming to find a way for them to get to Lima.  We check on staying an extra day and changing the flight from Lima to Atlanta.  Not a good option.  Other flights are booked for days and the change fee, let's just say it was outrageous!  All this time, the kids are waiting in the lobby trying to figure out why the leaders and I are huddled in a side room on the phone and making plans.  Providentially (one of many providential moments this morning) we tell them to all go get packed and be ready to go--still not knowing if we will get them out of town today or if they will be staying for another week.  Allen is calling bus lines and getting no where so he gets in a taxi and starts driving around town looking for a bus to Lima that will leave soon enough to get them to Lima.  I am at the hotel searching the internet for airlines to Lima (nothing but that one flight on LAN at 10:15) and talking to Delta about what happens if we don't get them on that flight.  Planes, trains, automobiles, we will do anything!! We finally find a bus and Allen calls me to say, "Can you get the team here in 15 minutes?"  I say, "I'll do what I can. . . let's pray and you talk and see if you can stall them." I tell the leaders -- we've found a bus that leaves in 15 minutes.  We need to hurry.  They run into the lobby, "Get your bags and be back down in 5 minutes!  Run! Run! run!"  The bus we had hired for the day is there.  We throw bags in the back seat.  We drive at a brake neck pace to the bus station.  This is saying something since that may be how many interpret normal taxi driving in Peru! But we explain to the kids the situation and that they are now on a 10 hour bus ride (that thankfully only took 8) to Lima and then a flight home.  During my explanation of what is going on, Allen calls me and says, we have 12 pretty mad passengers that they are waiting for these Americans!  So, we offer to pay half of their tickets.  Oh, and do i have enough money to buy the team's tickets?  Yes, thankfully I do.  

We pray for safe travels, mercy, and thank God for His faithfulness to always provide.  And we pull into the bus station--I pay the man for the tickets as well as the half for the other passengers.  Allen and I empty our personal wallets and give Bill Johns, team leader, all of our soles so he can buy the team lunch and get taxis to the airport.  We watch as they pull away and again say a prayer that they make it safely!  I think this team will win this leg of the race!  (and they do.  they make it home safely).  

So, time to reflect.  What a good week.  A fun, energetic team! They shoveled dirt and moved rocks with more grace than I'd ever accomplish! And they were inspiring also!  One day I walk into Larco church and our worksite and a girl was sitting alone away from the group.  I ask if she is okay?  "Yes, just taking my turn at praying."  This group prayed for one another, the mission, their trip, etc. all day in 15 minute shifts.  What an inspiration to pray without ceasing as we are told in the bible!  The prayers from their team back home and here in Trujillo were felt and so appreciated!!  

A highlight of their trip for the missionaries was tie dying t shirts in the park on Saturday afternoon.  What a great idea!  Everyone had a blast and we enjoyed showing off our work at our final supper!  To read more about the trip from their own blog.  Check it out here.  

After they left, Allen Smith and I are on this bus (seats 27) and we have it for the day.  And we have lunch for 20 ready and waiting in a few hours.  Hmmm. . . what to do??  Well, first we go by and pick up Allen's family.  then we call some friends.  The interns have arrived this day from a jungle trip.  We pick them up.  We all eat ice cream.  After all -- it is a special day.  We are celebrating Peruvian Independence Day!  And we call some Peruvian friends and enjoy the lunch that had been specifically prepared for IPC!  We prayed for our friends traveling home and were thankful for their time with us and look forward to many more trips!  We ate cuy frito (fried guinea pig)!  And were thankful for all that God provides!  

There is never a dull moment in my job or here in Peru!

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.