Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

We Love Because God First Loved Us

PERU | Friday, 19 June 2009 | Views [219]

we love because God first loved us

we love because God first loved us

It was a rainy day, but in Trujillo it does not really rain—it mists.  So we walked to Los Pinos in the mist and I thought to myself, “This should be a dreary day.  It is our last day of VBS at Los Pinos.  I am sad and so is the weather.”  The clouds covered the top of the mountain that had looked down on us all week.  But there was a bright shining light as our group neared the dirt street where we had been holding VBS—the children and their smiles!  They lit up the street with such enthusiasm and hope and love! 

We started as always with prayer and our songs.  The kids and adults alike enjoyed singing, “Quien hizo?”, “El Rey del Reyes”, “Yo tengo gozo, gozo, gozo”, and “Hallelujah, Gloria a Dios!”.  Then it was time for the Bible Story.  The children sat in the dirt and ignored the mist as they listened about Joseph and his brothers and how God provides for us and cares for us no matter what.  How true!  Here they had what many in the world would say is nothing, but really if you have the love of the Lord and a saving relationship with Him, then you have everything!  Something they could understand.

After the bible story, we started on the craft.  It was simply a coloring sheet.  But it was so much more!  These precious children sat and colored so intently and quietly for at least 20 minutes!  And it did not matter that there was no table.  No we sat and let them color on our backs, our legs, whatever they could find.  And it was a special time to be so near and just love these kids!

Snack is always a time that everyone looks forward to.  Today we did not have enough to go around (what a blessing to have too many kids!) so instead of each child getting one package of cookies, we opened them and shared.  No one complained.  No one said it was not fair.  They accepted this simple gift with such grace and gratitude!  And we worked on our memory work with fun games.  

 

Bible school ended as we started the first day and each day—with song.  And a prayer that they would know the love of Jesus; an explanation that we are there and loving them because God loved us first; tears, smiles, laughter, and hugs!  And then the crowning jewel—futbol!  Each day we played with the kids after Bible School.  We walked through what one person described as a “landfill”, but it is just desert that is covered in trash.  Under the power lines that you can hear the power buzzing through overhead and to the cement soccer field with goals of metal and no nets.  And we played and played.  Half the group (boys) played futbol and the girls just played in the dirt and sand.  You have not seen such joy and love as you have in a sandlot or cement soccer field. 

And finally it was time to leave.  We said our sad goodbyes and left Los Pinos, but we left it changed.  The first day the children were timid and had to be coaxed out of their homes into the dirt road to join us.  The last day they were kissing us on the cheek, hugging goodbye, waving as we approached and as we left.  Lives were changed.  And not just in the children, but in the adults also.  Everyone had a special child they had bonded with.  No one expected VBS in a dirt road, but they adapted.  They shared the love of God on children that played in trash fields.  No one flinched.  No one complained.  We just loved.  We loved the children because God first loved us.  We loved each other because that is the second greatest love to show.  To love your neighbor as yourself.  We found that our neighbor may be on the other side of the world.  But we can love them with all of our heart, strength and mind. 

 

While half of the Trinity team held Bible School each day, the other half held medical clinics.  I was not with them and cannot tell their story like the Bible School one, but I know that they too changed lives.  They provided healing, both physically and emotionally and spiritually.  Many said they treated the physical problems as well as they could, but it was the spiritual healing that was most gratifying.  To pray with and for each patient as they spent time with them.  To love them because God first loved us.  That is what this entire week has been about.  Thanks be to God!  And Thanks be to Trinity Presbyterian!  

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.